NINE

Chapter 9

-----------

-----------

THE RAIN COULDN'T STOP POURING. All of her clothes were soaking wet and the flashlight didn't do much job at keeping the bugs away. But Florence didn't care. She was beyond mad and desperate to kick Damon in the ass for leaving her alone once again.

Florence knew she sounded hypocritical because he was a vampire and couldn't do anything about it, but he could've seen it or heard it. And mostly, she was losing all the hope at escaping the island ever.

The art student stopped in her tracks then squinted her eyes to try and look around the dark trees. "Damon, if you can hear me just..." she mused quietly, hoping that he was nearby. "Please, just appear! Poof and be here!"

No one answered so Florence lowered her flashlight before looking up at the moon shining up in the sky. Rain poured on her body, cooling it and making the formed sweat from the heat disappear.

Florence took a step further and just then she came face to face with a huge spider, tangling down from its net. "AHH!" Florence screamed, automatically taking a step back.

The spider spun towards her as she fell on her ass before breathing heavily. It was bad. The animals of the island were really terrifying. Florence pulled herself up on her feet, feeling mud stick on her legs and arms as she groaned lowly. "Damon!" she yelled again. "Where the hell are you, idiot?"

Florence knew the vampire was either back to the plane, or annoying her on purpose. She hoped it to be the latter, because Florence didn't want to get lost.

Step by step, Florence walked further into the woods, hoping to find Damon and scold him for leaving her when she needed him the most. No matter how dumb it sounded, she needed a punching bag that was Damon. "Damon."

In that moment, on the other side of the island, Damon walked out of the woods, not caring about blood dripping from his mouth as he feasted on the animals quite good. "Florence?" he asked when he appeared in the plane, seeing that the art student wasn't there.

The day was still dark as he noticed first aid kit thrown around with everything but a flashlight laying on the ground. "Shit," he mumbled before understanding that she decided to take a 'walk' in the woods, where many beasts came at night.

Damon felt a weird connection to Florence, a one he didn't understand yet. But all he knew was that he wanted to protect her, because she was the only one to keep him company. As much as annoying she was, he liked her.

Quickly leaving the plane, Damon tried to listen in. It was really difficult with the rain pouring, thunder rumbling in the distance, and his weak power that he felt from not having human blood. But he heard. He heard her yells and screams for him until Damon decided to head to the direction of her voice.

Florence was lost. She walked out into the clearing, where there were no trees, just mud. She wanted to take a step further but her boot got stuck. "Come on," she sneered, trying to take it out.

"Florence!" Damon suddenly shouted causing her to yell from fright and fall into the mud entirely. He widened his eyes as he stepped further, wanting to help.

"Don't!" she snapped, sitting in the mud, tears forming in her eyes. Damon stopped in tracks, a frown appearing on his face as he watched her cry. "Stop trying to prove that I'm worthless..."

"What?"

Florence raised her furious eyes as she managed to stand up, feeling so dirty and broken. "I come here to find you, to freaking kill you for not coming back sooner! You know what?! A plane flew by in the distance and I needed help—"

"Nothing would've hap—" Damon started as she glared at him furiously so he stopped.

"I don't care! You could've come back and we would've done something! Anything. But you just left. I was even ready to give you my blood... Damon, don't you get it?" she questioned, all of her hope she kept leaving her body. "We are screwed here. Both of us. The food will end for me, I will be weak. You'll either lose your control and kill me or I don't know, kill me?! When I pictured spring break, I imagined having sex with a guy, and not being stuck with one! My god, I don't want such life!"

Damon had a huge concerned frown on him as he took a step further. Florence just raised her eyes at him before he cautiously placed his hands on her shoulders. "Well, then we wait until the food is gone and I'm freaking ripper like. Because someone will find us, just don't... don't loose hope, Florence. I haven't," he told her.

The girl was shocked by such warmth coming from a vampire before slowly nodding her head. "Hope is a hard thing to keep nowadays... How am I supposed to keep it?" she questioned lowly.

Damon chuckled before releasing her from his grip. "Let's get drunk?" he mused and Florence nodded, agreeing completely. He smirked slightly. "But before that... You have to clean yourself, maybe even take a swim."

The two started to go back to the plane when Florence grabbed his hand and made him turn back. "What?" he asked while shrugging.

"Ehh... You know..." she trailed off before giving him a pointed look.

"No, I don't," Damon shook his head so Florence groaned then noticed how gently she had been holding his arm.

Slowly letting it go the two continued staring at each other before finally Florence sighed. "I'm ready to give you my blood with one condition, Damon," she mused, bringing up an act about compulsion. She still had vervain so he wouldn't be able to compel her. "I suppose vervain is out of my system so I am ready to give you my blood. But you have to promise you won't compel me. I want to remember everything. Give me your word and I agree on doing this," she said seriously.

Damon's icy blue eyes were wide as he quickly nodded his head. He had no point to compel her unless he wanted more blood, even though he would've felt bad afterwards. "Of course," he said honestly.

Florence gave him a sharp nod before walking away. Damon smiled widely before following right after.

Vote, read, comment.