Glimpses of the Future

Lucas and Aurelia shared a confused look.

"In special cases I can show you glimpses of the future... If you'd like." His twisted smirk haunted them, a fire burning in his eyes. Aurelia shivered at his look.

"You can't-" Lucas began.

"Oh but I can." Mr. Gold waved his hand and the fire began to glow. Fires normally glow, but not normally a bright silver. "My powers are limited to only making deals, sadly, but while making them I can do some pretty impressive things."

Aurelia hesitated, before taking a step closer to the fire. "Show us." She commanded.

The silver light burst, causing the fire to explode. The light surrounded them, piercing their eyes.

"Arg!" Aurelia hissed, guarding herself from the light.

The light burnt into the brains. Each individual felt its effects. They all closed their eyes and shielded themselves from the blearing glow.

Soon the pain of the light faded, but the light itself didn't lose brightness.

Open your eyes. Some force compelled them to open their eyes and peer into the silver glow. Neither Lucas or Aurelia resisted.

It was like Aurelia's visions, but stronger. Fiercer. Bolder. Purer. There was nothing but the silver light, which was causing everyone's irises to shine with the same light.

It was Atharia. The capital of Atharia, Aureros, to be exact. Both Aurelia and Lucas would recognize those streets anywhere. It was home.

"Ah the new leaders?" They heard one man say to another. They were outside a place Aurelia knew quite well, Mr. Weston's bookstore. "They seem much better than that last fellow. King Letholdus wasn't doing anyone any favors."

"I agree. The new king, I was worried he'd be just like the last one, but this one's actually got a heart, and probably a brain too, based on how much better things are."

The light brightened, blinding Aurelia and Lucas again. The scene changed.

They were watching the inside of the bakery. Aurelia knew the family who owned it well. George Baker was good friends- and rivals- with her own father. His oldest was a boy of eighteen named Henry. He was a nice lad and Aurelia was open to befriending the young man, but their families were hoping for more than friendship. George's youngest was a girl of sixteen named Emmaline. She was one of the nicest girls in town and had inherited her father's skills in baking. Their families were close.

"'Did ya 'ere abou' that new treaty them royals set up with Nathe? Sounds like it'll make trade a lot easier." An older gentleman commented to a middle aged woman. It was one of his customers.

"Bout time too. I was wondering if they were just going to let that old rusty treaty expire before acting, but nah. Things got done. That's how I like it 'round here." The woman replied.

"They're still new. Plenty of time to slip up. Just you wait." Another, much younger man interjected. The woman scowled at him.

"Nobody asked you, Phil. Now get on with yourself." She swatted his back. He scurried away.

The silver glow returned and with it the scenery shifted once more.

Outside the seamstress's shop on Main Street. Aurelia had passed by many times.

"I hear Atharia is holding the Kingdoms Sun Ball this year. First time in ages." One woman informed two others.

"Bet it's because it looks like we can finally handle the responsibility of it." The second woman smirked.

"That new queen, she's something isn't she?" The third woman gossiped. "I hear she can make men freeze with her looks and fall with her quick wit. I'm surprised that she got married to the king rather than a more charming or handsome fella."

The second woman raised an eyebrow. "I wouldn't say the king's bad to look at though. But perhaps we shouldn't be commenting about such things at all. They are a most attractive pair, if I must say."

The first woman waved a hand, dismissively. "I don't care what they look like. At least now we have leaders who can actually do something sort of competent. But if we must gossip I hear the queen..."

The women's conversation faded out as the blinding silver glow began to die. They were standing on the hill top. They had never moved.

"That is five months from now. All it takes for things to start to look up. Five months. That is... If you signed." Mr. Gold held the parchment.

Aurelia's heart sank. She knew she should ask more questions. She knew she shouldn't sign quite yet. She knew she should have looked for answers more. But what could she, the miller's daughter, have that was worth more than her kingdom.

With a furious and delicate motion she signed her name onto the scroll in tar black ink.