The Royal Family Of Zerawyn

It came as a surprise to Aurelia and Lucas that nobody was surprised by their unannounced arrival. It was as if they had been expecting it.

Aurelia knew that something was up. How could they have expected their arrival?

"I'm so glad to see you again, Lucas! You too, Aurelia! We didn't get to know each other that well last time we were introduced. I would love to get to know you better. What brings you here anyway?" Serenity began the second she laid her eyes on them.

Lucas and Aurelia shared a look. What would they tell her? That they were looking for a magical man named Mr. Gold?

"Actually uh, we have an important matter to discuss." Aurelia began.

"Shall I introduce you to my parents first?" Serenity wondered. "If it truly is an important matter to discuss than perhaps the king and queen should know."

"Uh perhaps that would be best." Aurelia glanced at Lucas, hoping he could give her some sort of clue what to do. He simply gave a little shrug and a nod.

"Great! Then we shall discuss this further at dinner." Serenity stated, cheerfully.

Lucas and Aurelia shared a look. Was it best to wait to share this news? Would the king and queen be surprised by their sudden visit? They hadn't given any warning that were going to show up.

"Won't King Beckett and Queen Calista be surprised to see us here?" Lucas wondered.

Serenity gave the two an odd and confused look. "Why would they be? We've been expecting you for a couple days now."

Aurelia glanced at Lucas to see if he knew something she didn't. He appeared just as bewildered as she was.

"What's going on with you two? You are acting quite strange." Serenity questioned.

"Uh... Never mind." Aurelia said. Serenity just shrugged it off.

"If you say so."

Serenity occupied their time by showing the two all around the castle as Aurelia had never been there before. Lucas had, as he had visited Zerawyn many times growing up.

Eventually they found themselves preparing to dine with the royal family of Zerawyn.

King Beckett was a strong looking man with a square chin and bold blue eyes. He most likely had been quite a looker as a young man, but it was apparent that was quite a few years ago. Graying hairs were being to poke out through his brown hair.

Queen Calista was the definition of regal. She had olive skin with green eyes and silky dark brown hair. Despite having the coloring of her father it was clear that Serenity took after her mother. They had the same sparkling almond eyes and thin figure.

Nobody had mentioned to Aurelia that Serenity had an older brother, yet he too sat at the table. Prince Breckin was taller than the rest of his relatively short family and had his father's bold blue eyes, as well as his mother's olive skin and dark hair. Despite his name meaning freckled there wasn't a single one in sight. Aurelia couldn't help but notice her traveling companion had them scattered across his face, especially across his nose and cheeks.

After some simple introductions they all began eat.

"Where's Uncle Eurwyn?" Serenity wondered.

"Probably too busy in his lab to eat." Prince Breckin commented.

"Lab?" Aurelia perked up in interest and curiosity. Lucas laughed.

"My, you remind me of Lucas." Queen Calista commented, smiling sweetly. "I remember how interested he was in Eurwyn's work when he was younger."

"I used to visit Zerawyn every summer from the time I turned nine and on." Lucas explained to the confused Aurelia. She nodded in understanding.

"So what was it that you had to discuss with us?" King Beckett wondered.

"Oh right that..." Lucas gulped. "It's about-"

"I'm sorry I'm late." A deep voice stated. The inhabitants of the dining table looked up to see a lanky man.

He had oddly pale skin, dark brown hair, and eyes such a light blue they appeared gray with crows feet at the edges. He didn't look like a necessarily mean person but he did have what appeared to be a permanent frown etched into his face.

"Uncle Eurwyn!" Serenity beamed.

"My apologies. Some of my experiments ran a tad long." The man who was apparently Uncle Eurwyn slid into a seat at the table besides King Beckett.

"What kind of experiments?" Luke's eyes seemed to sparkled with curiosity and fascination.

"I'm working on a powerful sleeping draft, perhaps if I am able to turn it into a form of gas we'll be able to use against our enemies in war." Eurwyn declared.

"Fascinating! Mind telling me what exactly it is composed of so far?" Lucas wondered in curious. Aurelia smiled. Lucas really found the subject matter interesting.

"Well, it is composed of shredded briar and the root of the bitterroot plant. There are some other ingredients of course, but I believe you and I are the only one's interested in this discussion. I could show you after dinner, Lucas, if you would like." Eurwyn stated. He looked to have a hint of joy in his eyes at the discussion. He was partially right as Serenity looked to be a tad lost in the conversation and the rest of her family had lost interest.

"If that's not too much trouble." Lucas agreed, wanting to see Eurwyn's lab.

"Actually I am quite fascinated as well!" Aurelia exclaimed, cheerfully.

Eurwyn's eyes narrowed. "Excuse me, but you are not familiar. Do I know you?"

"No, you wouldn't. I'm Aurelia." She introduced.

"Charmed." Eurwyn droned. "And, Miss Aurelia, what title belongs to you?"

"Uh..." Her face turned pink. "None."

"No title and yet you are a close traveling companion of Prince Lucas?" King Beckett asked.

"Father, she's the girl I mentioned to you! The one who can spin straw into gold." Serenity explained.

"It is true, then? There's a girl who can spin straw into gold?" King Beckett inquired.

"Impossible!" Eurwyn spat, crossly.

"That's what I thought!" Aurelia and Lucas stated in unison. They looked at each other.

"Er... That is before I actually succeeded in attempting to." Aurelia lied.

"Hmm, well, what was it that you had to tell us?" King Beckett wondered.

Lucas and Aurelia glanced at each other worriedly. What would be the best way to approach this situation?

"Uh, well... You see- funny story- um..." Lucas had to take a deep breath. "We have to call off the marriage."