A Special Girl

News got back to King Letholdus of the girl's talent. One of his favorite court members had been at the tavern the night Coal Miller had made his prideful boast and had told Letholdus all about it.

"Certainly more gold wouldn't be bad for the kingdom, especially when we are lacking in it so." The king mused to himself. He had been thinking this over ever since he had first heard the tale.

There was a knock at his study door.

"Oh yes. Come in!" Letholdus said to whoever was on the other side. His stepson Lucas entered. He was a handsome boy of the age of eighteen. He had straight, short, copper colored hair and bright, round greenish blue eyes. Freckles were splattered across his face and dimples usually accompanied his smile. Right now he was not smiling.

"Letholdus, I've received news from Serenity that another kingdom wishes to cut ties with us-" Lucas sounded worried but Letholdus didn't notice, nor did he care.

"Lucas, did you hear about the girl who can spin straw into gold?"

"No," Lucas shook his head. "But I think we have bigger issues to deal with."

"Well don't you think that more gold will help?" Letholdus said, quite bluntly.

"Well I guess, but it won't really matter if we have no one to trade with." Lucas tried to be logical.

"Fantastic, Lucas! Call in the guards! I want this girl, Aurelia Miller I believe, to be brought here." Letholdus didn't care about Lucas' fair points. He wanted the girl to spin straw into gold.