Succession

"Perhaps we can find something about succession in monarchies in this here." Aurelia spoke quite quickly. Her voice often sped up when she was put in difficult situations. She was searching law books for the royal court.

"I hope so but I don't see why a king would have books on how to remove himself from power."

"Probably because it's been generations since a king has even thought of stepping foot in the library." Aurelia jested.

Lucas shook his head. "Actually the last two kings were very intelligent from what I've heard. King Alaric the first was Letholdus' father and he ruled for fifty years before dying and handing the throne over to his oldest son, who became King Alaric II. He ruled for ten years before he died. Then Letholdus took over."

Aurelia stared at Luke. "How do you know so much?"

"Most social interaction terrifies me so I read. Besides this is basic information
that the prince needs to know." He said 'the prince' with an air of uncomfortableness.

"Do you not like being royalty?" Aurelia wondered. She stepped down from the small ladder she had been using to climb higher up the shelf.

"It's not that exactly... It's just not me. I don't feel like I should be royalty. My parents owned a bookstore, before my dad died. I was normal until my mom remarried. Now it's like I've got so much more responsibility." Lucas sighed. Aurelia moved the ladder over and began climbing.

"Well, hopefully you won't have to get anymore responsibility." Aurelia pointed out. She yawned.

"Are you tired? You haven't slept at all  in the past two nights have you? Maybe you should lie down." Lucas suggested, gesturing to one of the library's couches.

"No," Aurelia yawned again. "I'm fine. We've got a job to do. Atharia needs us to find a better king. We've got to- ah here's something!" Aurelia pulled out a dusty, old, black book. "Succession law..." The ladder wobbled slightly.

"Careful!" Lucas exclaimed.

Aurelia blew a strand of hair that had fallen so it was no longer blocking her vision.

"I am careful." She stated before climbing down the ladder.

Aurelia flopped down in one of the comfortable armrests. She let out another large yawn.

Okay... Page one.  Succession law is a matter that deals with the ruler of the land and who will be his heir.

Aurelia's eyelids felt heavy. She continued on.

An heir usually is directly descended from the current ruler in a monarchy but that is not always the case.

Aurelia couldn't help herself. Her long lashes fluttered close and the book slid from her lap. She had fallen fast asleep.

Lucas rolled his eyes, knowing she hadn't wanted to sleep. He decided not to wake her. She was too peaceful to wake and besides she hadn't slept in two nights. He grabbed the book she had been trying to read and decided to skim through.

Perhaps he could find something.