Friends

Lucas looked worryingly at the dining hall door as the prince and princess left. He had an unreasonable sinking feeling in his stomach.

Serenity rolled her eyes. "You worry too much."

Lucas gave a weak smile. "That is one of my most prominent traits, I suppose."

"So how'd it happen? Was it love at first sight? I should have known that there was something between you two. That's so sweet." Serenity exclaimed.

"What? Oh yeah Aurelia and I- About that. Love is not involved in our relationship. Just friendship." Lucas admitted.

"But- you said-" Serenity pouted. "Why'd you lie?"

"It's a complicated situation. It was easier to lie." Lucas shrugged.

"Well, it was a very convincing lie."

"What- what do mean?" Lucas wondered.

"I mean, it was convincing. The two of you have chemistry. I mean- do you not realize how you look at her?" Serenity pulled open the door at the end of the corridor.

"I wasn't aware that I was looking at her in any sort of unusual way."

"Perhaps I'm delusional, seeing what clearly isn't there." Serenity mused to herself. "But you seem very friendly."

Lucas shrugged. "Well, that's probably because we're, you know, friends."

Serenity pouted some more. "How disappointing." Lucas rolled his eyes.

"I'm so sorry you're disappointed." Lucas rolled his eyes, sarcasm painted clearly in each syllable.

"What are you in the mood for? I know how you enjoy fantasy. Or would you prefer some classics?" Serenity wondered, pulling books off shelves.

"Actually I think I'll fetch Aurelia. She probably doesn't know where the library is and-"

"You want to check up with her." It was Serenity's turn to roll her eyes.

Lucas smiled, sheepishly. "She's just my friend, Sere."

"I know." The princess sighed. "Go fetch her." She smiled.

Lucas nodded opening the library door only to find Aurelia was much closer than he thought.

The miller's daughter laid, unconscious on the corridor's floor leaving the two royals in shock.