Chapter 6

Serilda

My hands wrapped around him as he did on my tiny frame as compared to his muscular one. Even though I was emotional my mind was working, and I knew I was touching the right notes. Not too high, not too low just perfect ones to gain what I had wanted from him. I needed his belief, pity, sympathy, and love. I was going to be a perfect little home wrecker in his pretty perfect happy life. The tears stopped and his hold on me loosened.

"I'm sorry about that." He apologized stepping away from me but his eyes were on me. I knew what he was doing.

He was measuring me up, trying to find an intuition or hint that I was lying. It was the practice that he was an expert at. Catching people's lies was his specialty, but I wasn't naïve. I knew the technique because I had studied about it in the second year of my psychology which was sadly my last year too. A beautiful future was wasted because of my parent's demands. I think I wouldn't have been in the right mind to even study after that. I had wasted months in sharpening the technique and becoming a perfect liar. I knew one day it would come in handy and it did today. At least the loneliness didn't get wasted.

"No, I'm sorry." I apologized. "I just overflew with the truths. I shouldn't have dumped things like that." This time I bought out fake tears which weren't necessary. Getting tears was easy because I just had to remember any of the dark memories and tears just sprang out. He nodded at me and I could see it in his eyes he believed me. Turning away from him I looked out his office window.

The world passed by, life went on, and everyone was busy in their life while I was plotting and acting upon my plan.

"You don't need to be." He paused staring at me. "I understand where are you coming from." Oh boy, you don't have any idea where I was coming from. I was playing the part that I have learned so much about, the part of being a little broken doll, an ugly toy, and a victim. I was painting my life in different shades of black and gray just for him even though reality wasn't that far away from it.

"Tell me about yourself, Evelyn. How did you end up where you are now?" He shuffled back to his seat with a notepad in his hand.

"I don't know where to start from," there were so many parts where I could start from.

"How about from the middle? From where did your marriage start?" I smiled inwardly because this was going to be the best and juicy bits of the story. I nodded from where I stood.

"I didn't love, and neither did he. We married because my parents wanted us to." If it wasn't for them, I might have walked out of the problem. The worst fact was that even if I did try to walk out of the situation, their threat of killing themselves hung over my head.

"Why this much animosity then?" I turned around looking at him. "Why did he marry you then if he didn't want to?" His question put a little stress on my mind to think of something good.

"Because my parents persuaded him to," I told him the truth. "My parents were manipulators and good pursuers. I don't know what reason they gave him but he was there at the aisle to marry me. I prayed for him not to show up but he did."

"Did he hate you at the time of marriage?" I smiled at this one.

"No, I think he pitied me at that moment. Maybe even sympathized with me." I looked at my wedding band while twirling it around my finger.

"What changed?" He asked softly. There was a calmness in his voice like it meant to pacify me. My eyes didn't quiver from the band too heavy on my hand with its tainted glory.

"I don't know but it started on our honeymoon." I still remember the way Erik had looked at me with pity on our way to the Lanai islands of Hawaii.

I didn't have the guts to look at him but I had felt his eyes on me, saw them on the glass window beside me. They weren't of hatred or love. They were understanding. It wasn't like it was now. We were both in pain, suffering, and coping in our way. We had just gone on the honeymoon because the world had wanted to see it, my parents had wanted it. It wasn't his first thought to go to Lanai, but he opted for it because he knew we both were going to need a change of scenery. And needed to away from people who knew us.