Chapter 23 ~ Together But Apart

Episode: Season 5 - The End Pt. 3

Sam and I stayed in a hotel room that night. He tried to comfort me but I cried myself to sleep anyway. Crawling out of bed the next morning, I overheard Sam talking to someone on the phone. But I was too numb to care who it was even. Stumbling into the bathroom, I splashed cold water on my face, trying to wake myself up. I looked into the mirror then - puffy, blood-shot brown eyes gazed back at me.

There were circles under them too from lack of sleep and I sighed. Suddenly, I realized Sam must have ended the phone call and he appeared in the bathroom doorway.

I arched an eyebrow, looking up at his towering figure, "May I help you?"

Sam chewed his bottom lip before meeting my gaze, "That was Dean on the phone. He wants to meet."

Half an hour later, Sam and I were meeting Dean at the bridge. I let out a sigh, looking up at it. It seemed like years since we'd been here last - me, Dean, Sam, and John. Ripping my gaze away from the structure though, I saw Dean's figure leaned up against the Impala. Just seeing him made my heart ache and a pit form in my stomach. After Sam stopped the car, he slowly got out and hesitantly, I followed suit.

Dean met his brother's gaze, "Sam..."

Those green eyes turned to me then and I forced myself not to break contact. He needed to know he hadn't broken me...even if he really had inside...

"Parker..." he nodded to me and I bit my lip.

Slowly, Dean removed the demon blade from the inside pocket of his jacket and balanced it in his hands before holding it out to Sam, "If you're serious, you want back in - you should hang onto this. I'm sure you're rusty,"

Sam looked at his big brother a moment before taking it from his waiting hands.

"Look, man, I'm sorry. I don't know whatever I need to be, but I was, uh, wrong," Dean admitted, avoiding my gaze.

"What made you change your mind?" Sam finally asked him, his voice quiet in the still morning air.

"Long story. The point is maybe we are each other's Achilles' heel. Maybe they'll find a way to use us against each other," Dean said, his eyes flicking to mine so briefly I didn't know if I'd actually seen it happen or not, "I don't know. I just know we're all we've got. More than that. We keep each other human..."

"Thank you... Really, thank you. I won't let you down," Sam told him and I could see the anxiety and stress lifting from his shoulders in that moment.

"Oh, I know it. I mean, you are the second best hunter on the planet," Dean joked, making Sam crack a slight smile.

"So, what do we do now?" Sam asked him.

"We make our own future," Dean said.

"Guess we have no choice." Sam shrugged in response.

Together, we all headed to the Impala and climbed in. Leaving Sam's rusted car on the roadside, Dean pushed the gas pedal on the car and it sped down the dirt road, creating a dust cloud behind us. I looked at both of the boys then - observing them both. Everything felt the same as before in that moment but as I settled back into the seat my eyes met Dean's green orbs in the mirror before he ripped his gaze away.... And I knew that everything had changed.