Chapter 17 ~ Castellan or Winchester?

Episode: Season 4 - Jump the Shark Pt. 1

I was in complete and utter shock the next few days. Not even finding out that Chuck was a prophet or Lilith almost killing Sam. It was like everything was going in slow-motion and I couldn't hear a thing happening around me. I didn't know what was going on. Until we got a call from a guy named Adam Milligan...who claimed John was his father, too. Dean almost hit the roof...well, roof of the Impala, at least.

After driving for two hours, we pulled up to a diner called Cousin Oliver's Diner in Minnesota. Immediately, Dean went to the trunk to go get weapons with Sam and I following after him.

"Dean, look, the best I can tell, Adam Milligan is real. Born September 29th, 1990, to Kate Milligan, no father listed on the birth certificate," Sam told Dean, paging through a folder and reading from it, "He's an Eagle Scout, graduated from high school with honors and currently goes to the University of Wisconsin, biology major, premed. Dean? You listening?"

"This is a trap," Dean insisted, ignoring his brother.

Sam glanced to me for help but I shrugged, arms crossed, "Sorry, Sammy, but I'm gonna have to agree with Dean on this one-"

"-and we're all surprised about it," Dean shot me a wink and I rolled my eyes before turning back to Sam who was frowning.

Patting him on the arm, I shrugged again.

"Dean, I'm telling you, the kid checks out!" Sam called after him, shaking his head indignantly.

We followed after Dean into the diner, the smell of pastries and coffee filling my nose. Breathing it in, my face broke into a small smile as we settled in to wait on Adam. A few minutes later - after Dean felt the need to re-arrange everything to 'demon-proof' it - a teenage blond boy walked in. His eyes were blue-green, so similar to the boys' eyes, it was eerie. But what was more eerie was who he reminded me of.

"Adam?" Sam asked, ushering the boy over to our table.

I slapped Dean on the arm repeatedly, trying to get his attention, "It's Luke! It's Luke!"

Dean just grumbled in response, trying to slap me back as the boy sat down across from us.

Sam gestured to me and Dean then, "This is Dean and Parker,"

"Hey," he greeted the both of us and my eyes widened.

"I thought you died when Kronos took over your body!" I blurted in awe, looking him up and down before Dean elbowed me in the ribs.

"So, um, how'd you know my dad?" he asked us all, avoiding my gaze.

Oh, great, now he was scared of me. I picked at the french fries on the plate before me, shrugging. Oh, well, it wouldn't be the first time.

"We worked together," Dean replied simply, not explaining further.

"All right. How did he die?"

"On the job,"

"He's a mechanic, right?"

"A car fell on him,"

Suddenly, a waitress walked up to take Adam's order and Sam shot Dean a warning glare which he ignored. His green eyes were laser-focused on the boy. After the woman left, we took up our conversation once more.

"So, uh, when's the last time you saw John?" Sam asked him.

"I don't even know. It's a couple years," the boy shrugged in response.

"Why'd you decide to call him now?" Dean interrupted gruffly and I intertwined our fingers under the table to calm him down.

"I didn't know who else to call. He's the only family I got. My mom's missing,"

"Really? I'm sorry," Sam said and I could hear the genuine concern in his voice.

Dean's however didn't hold any hint of concern, "For how long? It's tragic, really... But if you're John's kid, how come we've never heard of you?"

"John and me didn't really know each other," Adam said slowly, "Not until a few years ago, anyway,"

"What do you mean?" I asked suddenly and his blue-green eyes connected to mine.

"My mom never talked about him. I knew some stuff,"

"What kind of stuff?"

"My mom's a nurse, and Dad came into the ER, pretty torn up. He was in a hunting accident or something," Adam started to explain to us and I saw Dean roll his eyes, "I knew his name: John Winchester. That's about it. We're not exactly a nuclear family,"

"Yeah, well, who is these days-" Sam started when Dean cut him off.

"So when did you, uh, when did you finally meet him?"

"When I was 12. My mom had one of his old numbers and after I begged her, gosh, 24/7, she finally called him. Gosh, when John heard he had a son, he raced to town. I mean, he dropped everything. He drove all night," Adam continued the story.

"He would swing by once a year or so, you know. Called when he could, but still - he taught me poker and pool even bought me my first beer when I was 15. And he showed me how to drive. Dad, he had this beautiful '67 Impala-" he started when Dean interrupted again.

"Oh, this is stupid. You know what? You're lying!" Dean shouted at the boy and my eyes went wide.

"Sammy, intervene, intervene!" I whispered to the moose beside me.

"No, I'm not," Adam said in confusion.

Oh, yeah, you are," Dean insisted, eyes hard with anger.

"I'm sorry but who the are you to call me a liar?" he challenged my boyfriend.

"We're John Winchester's sons, that's who. We are his sons," Dean shot back, silencing Adam completely.

He looked from Sam to Dean and back again, blue-green eyes wide in shock.

"I've got brothers?" he breathed out shakily.

"No, you don't. Look, I don't know if you're a hunter-" Dean started when Adam cut him off.

"I have never been hunting in my life!"

But it wasn't enough for Dean. Hurriedly, he got up from his seat and began to walk out the diner, leaving me and Sam to helplessly look from him to Adam.

"Whatever. I'm out of here. Come on, Sam, Park."

Adam turned to us then, pleadingly, "I can prove it!"