Chapter 10: Is It Called Revenge or Karma?

Start from the beginning

As if she could see what I was seeing, Thérèse frowned. She slipped her hand out forward really fast and grabbed something out of her storage. And then, in front of me, there was a great sword. She held in one hand and brandished the sword in the other, filling it with pure magic power to make it glow white light.

Ohhhh no you don't. I hit on her arm to make her remember my presence, but she only tightened me closer so that I almost couldn't breathe.

"Give me a few minutes Fir. I'll have cleaned up here quickly enough!"

She boosted her wind magic up, making the wind start to swirl around us with impeccable presence. I could literally see it as it ruffled her dress, making footholds beneath her.

Like a rocket, she got ready to launch and I immediately tucked my self in as much as possible, unable to lift my hood to cover my head because my arms were squashed. For some reason, only now do I feel the metal plating that was underneath her clothes.

Wait, even you need armor? What about me then? I'm more fragile than you!

The air around us contorted into white strips, forming a canon around us. Oh Stars...

"It's going to get a little messy, Fir. Take a deep breath..."

Her voice faded away.

We launched.

I didn't heed her words in time and choked on the lack of air.

A loud noise sounded in my ears, gravity not keeping up as the pressure threatened to tear me away. 200, 140, 70, and then ten feet away. I didn't know when we made contact with the beast because it seemed like only a second had passed before everything was dark, then light again as we were back in the the stars' grace, far on the other side of clearing, 300 feet from the tallest tree that we had started on.

Thérèse turned around in mid air and used her feet as a buffer as we slid, stopping our impossible pace in seconds. Her now bloody and dark great sword was stuck in the ground in front of us, a large trail cut into the ground as a brake. The bodies that had been here before from the basilisk's rampage were blown away by the power of her landing and the wind slicing forward in our stead.

I took a deep breath and pulled my head out of her breasts, about to cry. When I looked up at Thérèse I saw that we were extremely disgusting. And if that wasn't the word for it, I didn't know what was.

Instead of rushing in and cutting up the basilisk like I thought she would do, Thérèse made us become a part of the sword. She had thrust us through its opened mouth, threatening fangs closing in on us rapidly. And then we pierced out the back of its head covered in paralysis substances and other stuff I couldn't identify. I only knew about the first one because I was slowly numbing and becoming unable to move.

I was covered in blood. My maid was fearlessly standing while holding me, unfazed by what she just did. She held no shame for putting me through that, which made me realize something-that this, probably six out of ten times, was normal. Not the taking a baby and using your body to pierce a basilisk part, but the power abuse. The overplay of skills and techniques, using powerful blows to silence even more powerful foes.

The ranks of an adventurer were, from lowest to highest: F, E, D, C, B, A, S, SS, and SSS. There were certain ranges of levels that indicated what rank you had. Nothing below ten mattered because that was weakness.

10 and under was F.

11 to 27 was E.

28 to 49 was D.