Chapter 19 ~ On the Outside Looking In

Episode: Season 4  - Lucifer Rising

The boys may not have been keen on the idea of another brother but I know neither of them wished the boy dead. I know it hit Sam the hardest. He'd been so excited to have a younger brother, even though he hadn't admitted it. He was even more heartbroken, knowing that he hadn't ever really met the kid - that the person who looked like him that he got to know was only a ghoul inhabiting his corpse. It broke Dean more than he let on as well. Over the next few weeks, we began to hang around more with that angel, Castiel.

He was on our side now and...nicer than I'd first thought. At least his vessel, Jimmy, had been before he became Castiel again. Maybe...maybe this angel was slowly growing on me. But we had more important things to worry about other than that what Castiel was doing. Dean and I found out that Sam had gotten more involved in this demon stuff that either of us really knew. He was...he was drinking their blood.

Like some kind of vampire. I knew what that was like - it was intoxicating and gave you a head rush at first. But you always wanted more and the blood-lust never stopped. One taste and you were hooked. I never got over mine until Philippe cured me. But Sam?

Sam was human and drinking it. How could he be cured? Dean, Bobby, and I locked him up in the panic room to giving him a detox of sorts. What we didn't bet on was Castiel breaking him out of there. Sam escaped and Dean tracked him to a motel room... He was with Ruby again.

I didn't come along - Bobby had insisted I stay behind so the boys could hash this out. But when Dean came back without Sam... I couldn't handle it. Dean was so mad at his brother and I understood that...I really did but I knew what Sam was going through. I wanted to be the one to help him get through it but none of us even knew where to look for him after he left the motel.

And a part of Dean didn't want to find him, to see his brother doing the things he was doing. After a few fiascoes and discussions with the angels and with some help from Castiel, we finally tracked him down, though. To an old Convent where he had managed to kill off all of Lilith's followers. The door to the room was closed but finally, Dean and I managed to break through. Sam was lying on the ground with Ruby knelt in front of him. And Lilith...she was dead on the floor.

My eyes widened as I shared a look with Dean before he strode over to Ruby.

"You're too late," she snapped at the both of us angrily.

Dean's green eyes were hard as he glowered at her.

"I don't care!" he snarled just as Sam grabbed Ruby from behind.

Dean thrust the demon blade into Ruby's abdomen then. She lit up yellow all of a sudden, electricity almost crackling inside her skull as a scream ripped from her throat before she hit the ground, lifeless. Slowly, my eyes met Sam's hazel orbs. He was wary, I could tell, but I didn't hesitate. I fell into the taller brother's arms, my fingers digging into the back of his jacket.

"It's okay, now, Sammy. We're here," I mumbled into his t-shirt as he hugged me back tightly.

After a few more seconds, we broke away and Sam looked at his big brother.

"I'm sorry," he choked out to him.

Suddenly, something surged up beneath us and the floor began to shake. Everything was filling with white light and panicked, I looked up to the boys towering above me.

"Sammy, Parksy, let's go," Dean said abruptly, grabbing us both by the sleeves.

But Sam refused to move, eyes glued to the light protruding from the Convent floor.

"Guys...he's coming..."

Note: And that's the end of Season 4!!! Up next, Season 5 and a whole lot of crazy things ;)