Sad Poems And Presents

Jordan left later in the day, though he had looked concerned, and told me to write him if anything like that ever happened again.

"Jordan, I don't have an owl."

"I'll get you one then. Consider it an early Christmas present." He did, sending it to me with a letter.

Dear Lee,
Here's my gift, the owl is carrying it. Don't open it until Christmas! The owl's name it Quendin. Treat him well.

Have a happy Christmas,
Jordan

I stroked the owl's tawny feathers. It looked like a great horned owl.

"Thank you, Jordan," I muttered as I wrote. "I'm sending mine...I won't...sincerely Lee." There. I stared appraisingly at it, then turned to my new owl.

"So I don't suppose we've met?" I try. The owl screeches slightly, tilting it's head at me. "I'm just going to attach this to your leg."

When I do, he gives me a peck on the hand and flies off, no doubt to wherever Jordan lives. I sit back and sigh. School starts so soon after Christmas, and to be honest I'm not really sure if I want to go back.

But then I remember all my friends, and how heartbroken they would all be if I just stopped going. I went and looked outside at the falling snow, getting out my old pen and paper and writing a poem.

Little snow
Falling outside my window
How I long to be
Falling as freely
As you.
Little snowflake
I don't want to break,
But I've been torn so much
I shiver at the touch,
Help me.
Little fractal,
I wish I could fracture
Into a thousand sparkling pieces
Until my pain ceases
As I am haunted,
By you.

I don't need anything more than that. I use the snow as a metaphor, frowning as I write. Words float off my pen, conforming and coming together as something amazing. I write a letter, seal it, and write the name on it. It is for Aquatus. I don't send it, however. I simply throw it away. I don't know where my thrice great grandmother is, or if she's alive. I wish I did.

I fall asleep, curled on the window seat in my room, dreaming of swirling snow and of Hogwarts.

The next day is something amazing. I open all my gifts slowly, trying to savor each of them separately. My parents gift me their favorite pairs of socks from when they were my age.

"It is cold outside, darling." My mother says, running her hand through my hair. I shiver at the touch of it. "Open your friend's gift."

I grab it, turning it over carefully. I then open it gently. Inside is a small necklace laced with leaves and with a locket on the front. The letter that comes with it explains that he couldn't find a picture to go with it, so I could find one myself. I feel my cheeks go rosy as my mother looks over my shoulder.

"What is that?" She smiles knowingly at me. "Leslie here's got herself a crush!" My dad chokes on his morning tea, and I turn an even deeper shade of red.

"He's not my crush, Mum!"