Don't Mess With The Badger

Demonica storms out of the compartment, her face bright red. I follow her timidly and try to reason with her.

"Maybe you should wait until you're less angry to do this."

"No."

"Please!"

"No! He called you a foul name. No one I know will be called that." Her gray eyes burn with fierce anger, and her shoulders assume a fighting stance. "I'm going to beat him into a pulp."

She sprints away, and I follow her timidly. I hear a commotion in front of me. Then there is a loud scream. I reach the compartment in time to hear, "That's right, now that the badger's out you're a little coward!" I race over and gasp to see that Demonica has the blonde boy in a headlock. His friends watch fearfully, some with wands.

"Oh, put those away, they won't help you. It's not like you know any magic!" At this they put them away quickly. Demonica turns back on her victim. "Now, you filthy pure blood, don't ever call my friend that again or I will personally tear your precious hair from your head."

I guess he really cares about his hair, because he scrambles backwards with such a force that he hits his head on the compartment wall. I lean back as him and his goons fly by in fear. Demonica stands up, then looks over to the window and smiles.

"Oh, we're here!" She says, looking mildly surprised. "Just when it was getting interesting."

"You are the strangest person I've ever met." She looks coyly at me.

"Perhaps, but strange is a ambiguous word. To most people, strange people are people who don't understand their personality, or act like they do." She says smartly.

"Whatever." I say and roll my eyes. Then the train stops. "C'mon, let's go!"

Once we get outside, we just stand, unsure of where to go. All of a sudden I hear a loud gruff shout.

"Fir'st years over 'ere! First years!" I see a large man looming over the other students and teachers. We make his way over to him.

"Hello!" Demonica says brightly to the man. He smiles, and his eyes crinkle up. At least, I think they're his eyes under his beard.

"Hello. I've never met you, but I know who you are. I remember yer parents Demonica, Judy and Dan Alan, I be'leive. Good fellows. Good to finally see you Alan." Demonica scowls at the use of her surname, but smiles it off.

"Thanks Hagrid. I'll see you around the castle." I timidly wave and he looks at me with another smile. Then he turns away and starts directing us to the boat which we are to use to get to the castle.

"Four per boat! Four per boat!" I see Jordan and the twins gesturing to their boat. I turn to Demonica.

"Do you mind if-"

She cuts me off. "Nope. I'm not a clingy friend. Feel free to hang out with them, as long as I don't also get into trouble."

I climb into the boat.

"So, what's your punishment?" I ask George.

"Oh, nothing serious, just a weeks worth of detentions cleaning the trophy room." I glance at him.

"Nothing serious George! Getting detention in the first place, that's serious."

"Not in our book." Fred laughs. "By the way, you could literally be our mum right now."

I smile. "If I was, I'd smack you into next week, detention or no."

Fred gives a look to his bum. "Maybe I'm glad you're not then. But before you get all up on our arses, you participated in it to."

I'd been expecting this. With a smug smile I respond, "But I didn't get caught did I? That's the difference."

Jordan laughs. "You know, she does have a point there Fred."

I smile at him just as our boat starts to move. I look down at Ficus, the most annoying plant in the universe. Somehow I'd thought I forgot him. But I'm glad I didn't because now the nerves flare up and I wait eagerly for what is around the bend.