Demonica

"So that's a simple overview of the houses." Demonica finishes.

"So Slytherin is for the crafty, Gryffindor for the brave, Hufflepuff for the kind, and Ravenclaw for the intellectual?"

"Well, those are the main traits, but that doesn't mean all Gryffindors are brave, or all Hufflepuffs are kind and so forth. My mum was a Ravenclaw and she failed her first year of Herbology. And my dad was a Hufflepuff and many Slytherins felt the bite of his badger." She pauses and gasps for breath. "What I mean is, the Sorting Hat will decide which house you go into, regardless of which traits you possess."

"Ok...I hope I'm in Slytherin then, I like being crafty. That prank was fun, surprisingly, so maybe I'm cut out for it." I smile widely. Hogwarts already sounds like a lot of fun.

Demonica looks a bit put off. "Well, I won't be a hypocrite and say you shouldn't want to be in Slytherin, but I will warn you that some people see the Slytherin house as evil and cruel. I'd be careful saying that in front of the twins, for example."

"Why?" I question. It seems that this world has its rivalries just as the Muggles do.

"Because they are a predominately Gryffindor family, and many pure-blood Slytherins call them blood traitors and bully them. I don't know them well, but I did meet their son Charlie once. He was pretty cool."

"Oh, the cool one? According to the twins, their sister Ginny bites." As I speak she rolls her eyes.

"What rubbish! Those two are nothing but trouble. Don't get caught hanging out with them if you don't want the teachers to be looking for you at the first sign of a prank." She flips her dark hair and toys with a string on her gray jumper. "Anyways...I want to be in Hufflepuff because my dad tells me it's the best!"

I give her a look. "Any other reasons?"

"Well, it's also because he says I have the badger in me that all Hufflepuffs do. Silent killers we can be. Don't take us for those pushovers the others see us as." Her eyes gleam dangerously.

"Ok, ok I won't!" I mock gasp. "Wait, we should get to know each other better." Then I hear a mutter in the corner. It is Ficus, whom I have been ignoring for far to long.

"Do you have any more water? I would really appreciate it." He croaks. He is still deprived from earlier, so I give him the rest of my water.

"Um, ok that was strange. Whatever. What's your favorite color?" Demonica gives me a strange look and I know I'm busted.

"Green." I blurt. Then my face turns red and I continue. "I meant that green is my favorite color. The exact color of the bottom of willow leaves."

She gives me another strange look. "How would you know that? I mean, most people aren't that specific. Mine is yellow, like my Hufflepuff spirit."

Our conversation was very interesting. So much in fact, that I often miss the strange looks she keeps on sending me. When I do catch her though, I am quick to brush it off as her getting to know me. However, I still feel shivers down my spine every time she shoots me a deep, almost knowing look.