Prologue

Ever since I was five, I knew I was different. Other children would be laughing and playing with each other, whilst I would just sit in silence in the woods near my house. My parents just assumed I was lonely and did not wish for companionship. How wrong they were. Because, when I was in the trees, I was not alone. I would have my friends, the trees. They would sway and sing, and it seemed as if they could see me. My parents told me I was just imagining things, but I wasn't so sure. The trees told me I was special, that I was gifted. They told me to just wait until I was eleven. And so I did. Bad things kept happening to me. At public school, I set the lunch lady's hair on fire after she snapped at me. Then, after being expelled, I made a mess of private school. There, I exploded a beaker in science class after my teacher yelled at me. Incident after incident went from month to month to day to day. So my parents took me out of school and from then on I was homeschooled. That was the reason, according to my parents, that I had no friends outside the trees.

This is where I am at now, eleven. I am just sitting in my swath of willows that I like the best. One willow hums a soothing tone as I write in my notebook. Suddenly, my silky black hair flies back in a rush of wind. I stiffen slightly with uncertainty. One willow laughs gently and strokes me softly on the arm.

"Fear not Lee. It is just that special moment happening for you. We did tell you it would happen at eleven." Another tree laughs. "You always were jumpy Leslie."

I snort, then turn to the tree next to me and nod, complete trust being installed by my friends. As I look back down a letter drops from the sky and hits me in the face.