Chapter 41

She starts to drive away from the horrors behind us. "I hope this is real. What would the other reality even be?" Chloe asks. I shrug.

"I don't know, but I'm pretty sure this is real. There's no way to tell for sure though." There's no way this is fake. It just feels too real. Of course, I've never felt what it's like to be in a false reality. Maybe it just feels like a dream or something.

"Well, you could always pinch me." She winks and smiles, jokingly.

"I'm sure you would love that." I joke back.

"So, about the open road and all, where are we going again?" She asks rather randomly. There's too much that happened in Seattle to go back to, so we should just...drive, I guess.

"Maybe you should just drive. We can go anywhere the open road takes us." She smiles.

"There ya go Max! Ready to just live in the moment?" I could always "live in the moment" because I could always be in the same moment, over and over again, but I guess I wasn't truly living in it, I was always living either in the past or the future.

"Yeah, it'll be fun." And reckless and stupid, but still fun.

"Of course it'll be fun, you're with me, and I'd like to think that I'm a pretty fun person." Chloe is definitely an interesting person. After all, she completely changed my life. I wouldn't be here right now if it wasn't for her. Maybe I wouldn't even be able to rewind time.

"You are a fun person, Chloe."

"Well, what can I say, my dad was a pretty fun person." The light turns red, and Chloe speeds up, and rushes straight through it.

"What the hell was that?" I ask, slightly annoyed.

"What, too fun for ya?"

"Getting us killed isn't fun. I don't want to be in another life or death situation again." Of course, this wasn't as severe as the storm.

"Relax, you can always rewind. Right?"

"I don't know. I wasn't able to rewind a little bit ago." Can I rewind now? I put my hand out, but nothing happens again. Have I lost my ability to do it?

"You can still rewind time...right?" She asks.

"I don't know. I haven't been able to since Mark showed up."

"And you can't do it now?" I shake my head no. "Fuck. Well, looks like I'll have to be more careful." I wonder if there's a reason I can't do this anymore. If there is, then why? We come up on a red light, and Chloe stops this time. "We're not immortal anymore. Try not to die yourself." She says. I've been pretty good about that. The light turns green and she starts to drive. "...Everything that just happened back there, and everything else before that was pretty fucking intense, so I just wanna know if you're ok. Are you?" It's hard to think about everything that's happened, when so much has happened. Plus, there's so much happening right now.

"I haven't been ok this whole week, Chloe. What just happened was hella terrible, but the only thing keeping me from becoming completely depressed is you." Her face turns completely red. Wow, that was cheesier in words than it sounded in my head.

"Wow. You're the only one that finds me that valuable. Even Rachel knew some upperclass people that were way more valuable than me. This whole week has been the most interesting and exciting week I've ever had. So thanks for taking me away from the redundancy of regular life." She says. Exciting in a good or bad way?