Chapter 21

"How about the nightclub?" I would prefer that over getting tattoos.

"Yeah, I'm up for that! You finally gonna drink something other than coffee?" She jokes.

"Nuh-uh. I cannot drink alcohol, it's too gross."

"Come on Max, a little won't hurt ya." Actually, it will.

"We'll see Chloe." I doubt I'll drink anything. I just said that to amuse Chloe.

"Don't worry, I won't take advantage of you when you're drunk. I promise."

"Yeah, we'll see about that tonight."
...............

Start music

The flashing neon lights hit my eyes as I walk into the nightclub with Chloe. The music is so loud I swear I can feel the ground vibrating. I look over at Chloe, who's already getting into the groove of the music by nodding her head to the beat.

"You sure you wanna be here?" She yells at me over the music.

"Yeah, I'll give it a shot." I yell back. I normally don't like super loud music and being around a lot of people, but Chloe looks like she's having fun, so I'll stay here for her. Who knows, maybe I'll find some fun here too. And to be totally honest, the music is pretty good, just a little loud.

"Cool. Well, I'm gonna go get a beer. You don't want one, do you?" She asks.

"None for me. One of us has to drive out of here." She smiles and nods and walks over to the bar. Shit, now I'm alone, at a large social gathering. This has to be an introverts worst nightmare. What do I even do? I guess I should just go with Chloe. She's the only person here I know. "Hey Chloe, wait up!" I yell. She doesn't turn around. I don't think she heard me. I follow her through the large crowd of people. She gets up to the bar and talks to the bartender. I walk up next to her. "Hey Chloe."

"Hey, you change your mind about that beer?"

"No, I just wanted to be around someone I know."

"Come on Max, you can't be so shy! You gotta go out there and talk to people, because sometimes you'll find the right people. That's how I found Rachel." The bartender puts a beer in front of Chloe. She pays him and takes the bottle cap off. Chloe must be pretty strong to be able to take that off with her bare hands. Maybe it's one of those bottles that's easy to open. "I'll help you meet people. You know how charming I am." She smiles and takes a drink.

"I'm actually pretty comfortable here." It is a pretty nice spot over here. There aren't that many people and the music isn't as loud.

"Well, if we're going to stay here we might want to sit down." She says. We sit down on the barstools next to us. "I hate to bring up responsibilities while we're celebrating, but to be totally honest I'm a little worried about what we're going to do." She takes a long drink.

"I don't know, but it doesn't matter, right? We just have to go with the flow." I say trying to appeal to Chloe. "You were the one who shared that wisdom with me. It'll be ok, now come on, let's go dance." Even though I don't really want to dance, Chloe likes it, and if it makes her happy, then I'm happy.

"Your ready to go shake that bony white ass of yours Caulfield?" She drinks her beer until it's empty. "Alright, lets go!" She grabs my hand and I laugh. She smiles and pulls me out onto the dance floor. She lets go of my hand and starts dancing. "You gonna start dancing Max?" I start moving my arms and my butt a little bit. "Hey, there ya go!" She yells. She starts whipping her head around like a maniac. At least she's having fun. We definitely need to unwind after what happened.