Chapter 30

"Chloe, you need to calm down. Take a deep breath, ok?"

"But Max, I think something else is going to happen! Something bad. I don't know what it is, but that bad vibe she was talking about wasn't a lie." I don't know why Chloe would lie about something like this, so I don't have a reason not to trust her. She trusted me when I said I could reverse time, and that seems pretty far out there. "What do you think we should do?" She asks.

"I think you might be a little stressed out. Why don't we get some donuts and talk about all of this?" I propose. She raises an eyebrow.

"Donuts? You know I love donuts, but now's not really the time for that. We might be in danger." She says to me like I'm a little kid.

"Chloe, do you really think we're in danger? Everything bad happened these last few days. I don't think anything worse can happen to us." I say. "I'm sure this is our second chance. It has to be. If life is so cruel that it will make us endure something worse than that storm, then maybe it isn't worth living." She just looks at me.

"Damn Max. That was intense." She says. "...Maybe we should get those donuts. Sounds like you need them too." I think we do. We're both still stressed out.

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." We can just eat donuts, talk, and relax. She turns the truck on and drives onto the road.

"Hope there's a good donut shop in this small town." She says.
...............
I shove the last piece of my jelly filled donut into my mouth. These were good, but I'm sure if Joyce made us donuts, they would be one hundred times better. Chloe finished her's a little bit ago. Am I a slow eater? I never considered myself one.

"You alright? You seem super stressed and on edge." I do? Well, I am a little I guess.

"Yeah, I'm good. Just this whole week, you know?" She definitely understands. I think this whole thing is affecting her more than it is me.

"You can say that again. Too much shit has been happening." Exactly, just too much has been going on.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"I don't know, overwhelmed I guess. Stressed out too. Our hometown was just destroyed. My house, your school. It's just too much." She says. I nod I agreement. She stares outside into the parking lot. A person walks up to the table and stands there.

"Max Caulfield?" A woman says. I look up and see the homeless woman, the one from outside of the Two Whales. Did I ever tell her my name?

"Hey, so you took my warning seriously? Not very many people would have believed me." She sits in the booth next to Chloe, and puts her hands together on the table. Chloe turns to her and just stares, then looks at me.

"What's uh, what's going on?" Chloe asks.

"This is someone I talked to before the storm hit. This, is Chloe" I informally introduce them.

"Hello." She says. "You're Joyce's daughter, right? Your mother is a very nice woman. Be good to her."

"Uhh, yeah." Chloe responds awkwardly.

"But anyways Max, of course I heeded your warning. You seemed like one of the only trustworthy people in Arcadia Bay. Your aura, it just felt trustworthy, you know?" I don't, actually.