Chapter 24

I lean back towards the window. What the hell?! Why is Chloe trying to fucking kiss me?! She leans in and realizes I'm not there, so she leans back into her seat and looks out of the window. Her face is pretty red. What the hell just happened? I lean back into my seat comfortably. This is so fucking awkward. I don't even know what to think. I never knew Chloe actually liked me like that. I mean, when she asked me to kiss her in her room, I thought she was joking, or testing me or something. I never thought she was serious.

"I'm sorry Max. I'm just-I think I'm hella drunk." You must be, Jesus.

"It's-It's ok." I say quietly. It's really not though. That was fucking uncomfortable.

"...Rachel and I, we were a thing." She says after a long period of awkward silence. I never knew that, but I guess it was kind of obvious. "We were a pretty cute couple, but I think she was seeing someone else while she was with me though."

"That sucks. I'm sorry." I say trying to not feel so awkward. I still do, unfortunately.

"Well, it is what it is I guess. I'm not angry at her-anymore. I just miss her now." She looks out her window. Jesus, I hope this didn't ruin our friendship or anything. Maybe she didn't know what she was doing. I mean, she is drunk.

"I wish I could have met Rachel." I say. She looks down at her right hand.

"Oww, damn. That guy's nose was hard." She starts to rub her fingers.

"Maybe you need some alcohol to mask that pain" I joke. She looks up at me with a serious expression.

"That's a good idea Caulfield." She starts to get out of tge truck.

"Chloe no, I was joking." I say.

"Relax, I was just gonna go pee." She gets out and closes the door. She goes and walks into the nightclub. That was crazy what just happened. You would never expect your best friend to just start trying to make out with you. I didn't, at least. That definitely adds to the craziness of this week. She runs back out and gets in the truck quickly.

"Well that was fast." I say sarcastically.

"I didn't go. That guy was in there, and he started chasing me." I look over at the door and see the burly man walking towards the truck.

"Alright, well, we should leave." I say. I turn the truck on and pull out of the parking lot. I drive onto the road and leave. "What happened?" I ask in a disappointed tone. She looks out of the window and holds up her middle finger.

"I just walked in there and that dude saw me and tried to hit me...Asshole." She did hit him, but that doesn't mean he should hit her. I guess we should have saw that coming.

"Where do we go?" I ask trying to change the subject.

"Hmm, I don't know. It's been a while since I've been in Portland." I turn into an abandoned lot. "This-this is good." She stutters. I park in the middle of it, and turn the truck off.

"So, how are you feeling?" I ask.

"Well, I haven't thrown up yet, so that's good." That is good.

"Well, if you need to, go outside. I don't want your stomach acid on me." I joke.

"I'll try my best." She says. "Hopefully I don't have to to begin with."

"Yeah." I say quietly. "You did drink a lot though." We both go silent. Everything is silent. The radio isn't even on. It's like the whole world just stopped. "Chloe, why did you try to kiss me?"

"I've-I've liked you for a while. When you came back, I just couldn't hold it in anymore. But, I know you don't like me, so whatever." She says solemnly. "We can't let this ruin our friendship."

"Yeah." I say.

"Look, how about we-we just forget it ever happened?" She stutters.

"Already forgotten." Really though, it isn't.

"What? You already forgot? I said let's-let's just forget it ever happened, ok?"

"No, I'm saying that I already forgot that it happened. As far as I'm concerned, nothing happened." She just stares at me.

"Jesus Max you need to stop forgetting what I'm saying! Alright, like I've been saying, we need-need to forget what happened between us, ok?" She doesn't seem to be understanding what I'm saying. I laugh and nod my head yes. Drunk Chloe is pretty amusing. "Good. Now we're on the same page." She yawns. "I'm getting a little sleepy."

"Go to sleep." I say. "Don't worry, I won't crash the truck" I joke. She nods and leans her seat back while closing her eyes. Shit, what do I do now? I'm not really that tired. I sit and watch Chloe for a little bit. "Chloe?" I whisper. She doesn't say anything. She doesn't even move. I'm going to guess that she's dead asleep. I turn the car on and press the knob that starts the radio. Loud punk rock fills the truck. I quickly turn it down and glance at Chloe, who is still asleep. Damn, she must be really out of it. I switch it to AM and move it until I hear someone talking.

"-And that's what's happing in the Middle East. In local news, a large storm hit a small bay city right here in Oregon. Most of the details are unknown, as this happened yesterday, but a large force of police and firemen have been sent out to the bay. The town, Arcadia Bay, was hit by a staggering E6 tornado. From the reports, the whole place is completely destroyed. The cause? Nobody knows. Strange weather was reported a few days before the storm. Some people say this is the work of Native American spirits, or Native American folklore of some sort. It is definitely strange what happened there indeed. Stay tuned for more information, when we get it, here on-"

I turn the radio off. I guess all of Oregon knows about what happened. Maybe the whole country. I don't know, but it definitely was strange. I look out of the window and see a bright full moon in the sky. I should probably go to sleep. I put the seat back and close my eyes.
...............
The sun is shining bright through the truck window and into my left eye. I get up quickly so the the light isn't directly in my eyes.

"How can you be moving so quickly?" Chloe asks. She's sitting there holding her head.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes, definitely! Because someone holding there head his totally ok!" She says sarcastically, but with hate in her words. "Sorry Max, I've just got a piercing headache." She must be hungover.

"You did drink a lot last night."

"I did? All I remember is going to a nightclub. Everything else is a blur." She doesn't remember that she tried to kiss me?

"Really? Well, you did a lot more than that."

"Oh no. What did I do? Was it bad?" Should I tell her?

"You punched a guy that grabbed my ass. I don't think I thanked you for that. So thanks." Maybe it's better if I didn't bring it up.

"Oh shit really? Was it awesome? How did I look?" She looks down at her hand. "I guess that's why my hand kinda hurts. How about you drive?" She asks.

"Sure, I guess I can. Where to?"

"Anywhere. Just don't get us killed, Caulfield." She holds her head again. "I really need some coffee." I turn the truck on and drive out onto the road, not exactly knowing where I'm going.
Go to chapter 27