Chapter 31

Start Music

"Maybe this guy has some answers for us. I really think we should stay." I say. She sighs.

"Fine, we'll stay. We only have what, a few hours left anyways?" She says sarcastically. Hopefully this guy's worth it. Chloe doesn't like to waste time. Come to think of it, I don't like to waste time either, even though I can manipulate it.

"Thanks Chloe." I say. "So, what should we do?"

"Well, we're in a library, so we could always read." She says. "Buuut, I think we could do something better than that. How about we have a little fun with that woman over there?" She points to the woman behind the counter.

"What are you thinking?"

"Having a little fun, like I said. A prank, to be specific. How does this sound-"

"I don't know about that." I interrupt. "She seems like a nice person."

"That's the best part! We could do something to screw her up and change her forever." Damn, Chloe gets dark when she's bored.

"No Chloe, we're not doing anything that will emotionally scare anyone forever."

"Aw come on Max, you're no fun. What are we going to do then?"

"I don't know, but it'll be something legal and it won't hurt anyone." She rolls her eyes.

"This'll be a fun few hours."
...............
It turns out Chloe can easily manipulate me. We ended up playing a prank on the woman; a tiny one. It was fun, I have to admit. We also got ice cream, because why not, right? Chloe is sitting across from me, licking her ice cream. I already finished mine. I'm not a fast eater, I just got a small cone, that's all. She looks up at the big clock on the wall in front of her.

"Welp, it's five o'clock, and he's not here."

"It just became five. Just be a little more patient. We've lasted this long." I say. She continues to lick her ice cream. I'm a little surprised that this library allows food. The door opens and a hooded figure appears. The person walks up to the woman and they talk for a little bit. She points to us, and the person walks over to us.

"Max!? You're alive?" The man says. He pulls his hood off and it's-Warren.

"Warren?!" I get up and hug him. "What are doing here?"

"I saw that big storm coming and I was able to get out of there. I lost my car though, so I had to hitch a ride with someone. It's a good thing they weren't some crazy serial killer." I laugh a little. So Warren was the guy we were waiting for? He waves at Chloe and she waves back, still licking her ice cream. "So how did you two get here?"

"Chloe drove us out of there the day after. It was terrible seeing the bay like that."

"I could imagine. I just hope everyone there's ok." Seeing that storm, I don't know if it was very survivable.

"Yeah, me too." I say. "So, you're the one we've been waiting for?"

"It seems that way. I have that book you wanted right here." He puts a tattered journal-looking book on the table. "It talks a little about The Butterfly Effect. The rest is just stuff about Native American folklore and such." Chloe takes it and starts to flip through it. She must have finished her ice cream cone. I sit back down, and Warren grabs a chair and joins us.

"What exactly have you been doing here?" I ask.

"Research. On stuff like The Butterfly Effect, the storm, weird weather, and some Native American folklore. I'm just trying to find a reason for all of this."