Chapter 23

Start music (By the by, this is my favorite ship of all time) :D

I do my part and lean in a little until I feel Chloe's lips on mine. We stay locked together like that for at least ten seconds. She leans back and looks at me.

"Wowser." She says. "That was hella amazing. Where did you learn to kiss like that?" I haven't really kissed that many people, so I don't know.

"I don't really know. I didn't think I was that good." I answer. She leans in to kiss me again. "Wait. Are you doing this because you're drunk, or because you actually like me?"

"Max, I've liked you ever since you came back after those five years. The fact that you saved my life made me like you even more, but just the way you are is perfect. That's why I like you." She says drunkenly. I still can't really tell. She leans in and kisses me again, this time trying very much to please me. I can just tell by how much effort she's putting into it. I can really taste the beer and cigarette from her lips. It's unpleasant, but I can deal with it. She lets back up again. "I've really gotta go pee. I'll be back quickly so we can keep this going!" She says excitedly.

What the hell is even happening? I didn't know Chloe liked me in that way. I didn't know I liked Chloe in that way. Do I? I mean, she kissed me twice and I didn't resist. I guess I do like her. I mean, ever since I came back to Arcadia Bay and saw Chloe for the first time in five years, I couldn't stop thinking about her. She's beautiful, caring, and she likes me. Does she really mean any of this though? She is pretty drunk, so I don't know. I watch Chloe walk back into the nightclub. Ok Max, just go with the flow and stay in the moment. Whenever you get caught up with your thoughts, you end up missing out on the present. No focusing on the past on the future. Now's the time to stay in the present.

I sit there waiting for Chloe to come back. Maybe I should look kind of presentable for Chloe. I flip the sun visor down and look in the mirror. A picture floats down and lands on my leg. I pick it up and look at it. It's that picture of Chloe and I on her bed. I took that selfie a few days ago. How did she get that? I could have sworn that I had it with me. There's a big red heart around me with a bunch of "Chloe Caulfield"s written around it. Jesus, if that's not middle school crush shit then I don't know what is. I never knew Chloe had this side to her. I guess under her punk skin she's a soft person who's kind of romantic, in her own way. You know, I guess all of that flirting she's been doing this week was actually real.

Chloe walks out of the building and comes towards the truck. I put the picture back in the visor and fold it up. She opens the door and gets in. "So, where were we?" She asks. "Oh yeah, I was doing this." She leans into me and lands her lips onto mine once again. I kiss back a little, and she slides her hands onto the sides of my face. She kisses like she's wanted this for a while, and judging from the doodles on the picture, I think she has. But I can't really tell. Maybe she liked me before I left, or maybe she just started liking me this week. The real question is how long have I liked her? We let up, and she just stares at me.

"Isn't that convincing enough to show that I like you?" She says drunkenly.

"Chloe, how drunk are you?" I ask.

"I-I'm not that drunk." She says. "I can still do this. A...B...C...D...I...J...L...Q... See?" I laugh.

"I'm pretty sure you're drunk. Really drunk."

"Caul-Cauliflower, no more talk, ok? Just kiss me again." Cauliflower? Really? She leans in and kisses me again. Honestly, I'm not stopping her, because I kind of like this. It just feels, right, I guess, that Chloe and I get together like this. She slips her tongue into my mouth and slides it across mine. Jesus, this is getting really intense. I lean back and we both sit back in our seats. "What, did I do something wrong?" She asks.

"No, it's just, I don't know. That was getting really intense, and I don't know if this will ruin our friendship, and I really don't know what's even happening here. I mean, I just learned right now that you like me, and-Chloe?" I look over and see Chloe is passed out in the passenger seat. I wonder how much of my rant went unnoticed by her. I put the keys in and start the truck. It roars while I put it into gear. I've never driven Chloe's truck before. I hope I don't fuck up or something. I pull out of the parking spot and drive onto the road. I don't even know where to go.

I look over at Chloe, who is fast asleep. I don't even know what just happened with her. I have the proof that she likes me, but it's all still so confusing. I should have taken a hint from that time when she asked me to kiss her back in her room. Maybe it's best not to think about it. It happened, and it's done. I just hope it's not over. I think I love Chloe.
...............
I wake up and see Chloe sitting there holding her head and looking out of the window. "Good morning sunshine!" I say mocking her. She winces and slowly turns to me.

"Damn Max, do you have to yell?" She says in a tone of aggravation. She must be hungover.

"Oh, sorry Chloe." I say normally.

"Yeah, whatever..."

"...So, do you remember anything from last night?" Her eyes grow large.

"What did I do? Was it anything illegal? I promised myself I wouldn't do that shit anymore."

"What? No, we just...went to a nightclub and you got drunk."

"Anything else?" She asks. Should I tell her?

"Nope. Nothing else important. You did punch a guy though." Maybe it's best that I don't. It's kind of embarrassing for her after all, and if she didn't want me to know that she liked me, maybe I shouldn't tell her what she did. At least I still know what happened.

"Oh shit, really?" Her face looks more joyous. "How cool was it? Like action movie cool, or extreme karate move cool?" I laugh.

"It was pretty badass. I think you broke his nose."

"Well, that would explain why my hand hurts. How about you drive?" She says. I think I did pretty well driving her truck before, so I guess I could do it again.

"Where to?" I ask.

"Wherever. That's the whole point of living in the moment, right?" I start the truck and pull out of the parking lot.

"Just, anywhere?" I ask.

"Yep. The world is our oyster, or whatever." She holds her head. "I really need some coffee." I drive onto the road, not exactly knowing where I'm going.
Go to Chapter 27