“It was Dave. He did it. I remember because I was going to call the cops and he grabbed me.” I looked over to Mary and she nodded her head before turning off the recorder. She let out a sigh and started putting her stuff away.

“Thank you for your time. I already had a hunch about Dave but they questioned him and let him go. He could be anywhere by now. Do you have any clue about where he could be?” She directed her question to my mother who’ face was completely pale. She was tightly gripping my hand and I wince a little from the pressure. She seemed to have come to her senses and shook her head.

“He told me he had to go visit his family but he didn’t tell me where.” Mary nodded her head and closed her bag before fixing her suit. She slowly walked over to me and handed me a card.

“If you need me please call. I’ll inform the police of this new information and we’ll set out to find Dave.” She gave me a curt nod, said goodbye to my mom and Chres, then slowly left the room. I laid my head back on my pillow and closed my eyes, my headache getting worse.

“Ma, can you see if I can get something for this headache?” I looked over at her and she quickly agreed, rushing from the room. The room  became very quiet and had a heavy curtain of emotion over it. I finally looked at Chres and he was watching me closely. I gave him a small smile and touched his face.

“Hi.” I didn’t know what else to say to him. The fact that he was being so quiet was starting to worry me and the only thing I wanted to hear was his voice. He softly grabbed my hand and kissed it before setting it back down on the bed. Slowly standing up, he walked over to the window and looked out of it. After a while he turned back to me and the look in his eyes crushed me. I let out a sigh and looked away.

“Don’t look at me like I’m broken Chres. I’m fine. It’s not a big deal. I’m used to it.” I quickly shut my mouth and closed my eyes, regretting what I said. Why did I have to open my big mouth? I didn’t want him to know and I just let it slip. I heard Chres walking towards me and a minute later I felt his hand moving my face to look at his. I opened my eyes and his were inches from mine, searching my face.

“What do you mean you’re use to it?” He seemed pretty calm but I knew him better. I knew he was trying to hold back his anger. I looked back into his eyes and tried to think of a way to explain this to him. I know he is going to be mad that I didn’t say anything sooner but I had my reasons. I opened my mouth to speak and all that came out was air.

“What are you not telling me Destiny?!” Chres all of a sudden exploded out and I jumped in surprise, the loud noise causing my head to throb. I closed my eyes and held my head in my hands until the pain subsided. I finally looked back at him and he was still sitting there, waiting for my answer. I let out a sigh, knowing that there was no way around this.

“This isn’t the first time Dave’s hit me. He has been abusing me since he moved in with us. The only person who knows about it is Brandon. I didn’t say anything because my mom loved him and I wanted her to be happy, even if it meant I was miserable. I also didn’t say anything because I never thought it would get this far. That when I moved out, that would be the end of it. Of everything I was trying to get away from.” I looked down at my hands afraid to see Chres’s reaction. He was too quiet for comfort and with him that only meant one thing. I peeked up at him through my lashes and he was breathing heavily, his fist clenched tightly. I hesitantly reached out to touch him but he jerked his arm away. He breathed in deeply and let it out before he kissed my forehead and headed for the door.

“Chres...Chres.” He completely ignored me and kept walking out of the room, passing my mom on the way. She looked back behind her but Chres was already gone. I felt the tears coming and quickly wiped them away before my mom could see. She turned back to me and I could tell she was holding back questions but decided not to ask any. She just handed over the pills and water without saying a word which I was thankful for. I downed them and looked at my mom who was watching me closely.