Chapter twenty one

So... goading your...whatever Derek is to me, turned out wasn't that good of an idea. The crunching sound of a bone-breaking when Derek's fist connected with Alex's face was something I would live to regret forever.

"What the hell man," Alex spurred trying to wipe the blood gushing out of his nose. My body came to life after the momentary shock, I moved towards Alex to help him up when I was suddenly yanked up and moved behind Derek.

"Derek, what are you doing?" I yelled trying to free myself of him. I can't believe he just did that. Is he insane? Wait, what the hell kind of question is that? of course, he is crazy. He just melted a guy's face of which a punch.

"Get in the car Em," he yelled facing me. I stood in place unable to do or say anything, as he grabbed my arm and aimed me towards the entrance of his car.

"Where the hell are you taking me?" I asked once I was able to come to myself and face the raging beast dragging me by the arm. He turned to shoot me a glare that would melt a person's face. I glared back, even though my glare didn't hold much hostility and intimidation.

Deciding the best course of action as of now is to stay silent until his rage abided a bit, but again, I wasn't the logical type so I ignored the ration voice telling me to shut up and continued to enrage the already angry giant.

"Derek are you aware just how insane you look right now right?" I goaded as he paused to take in my response. Derek hated being called insane, but life was taught.

He turned what one could only presume was a death stare, if he wasn't smiling, even if it was a little one, I would have believed the death stare. unfortunately, his pearly whites gave away his state of anger as little to nothing. that is until he spoke.

"Be very careful Em. you are the only one who's ever called me insane and lived to see another second." he moved towards me with a calculated step. his eyes turned amber, then dark black. 

"But I promise you, that won't go unpunished either," he stated before continuing to drag me to his car.

'Punished?' did he just say punished?'

"what are you going to do? throw me in one of your dungeons and hope your tied up dragon eats me for lunch," I teased, hoping he would smile at my attempt to lighten the mood. I knew he didn't have a dungeon and he most certainly wasn't cool enough to have a dragon. and unfortunately, he knew, that, I knew it too. so my small taunt wasn't received as amusing as I had hoped it to be.

"what are you trying to achieve by doing whatever it is that you are doing?" he asked once we were near his car. I thought for a bit trying to find the smartest way to answer that question. many came to mind but none seemed like the type I should use now, even though I knew full well that he would never hurt me. I decided to not push him to the point of finding out. 

We drove for what felt like ten minutes before we stopped at the entrance of the big forest near his house. He pulled off the road and parked the car, before turning to me.

"let us talk Em," he began. I was hoping we didn't do this anytime soon as I was not ready to face what came with all of the 'mate' things as savannah was explaining to me earlier. I wanted to avoid this, as long as I can. It's not the I didn't like Derek. I love him, no matter how hard I tried to avoid it or tell myself that it was nothing more than a silly crush, I knew that wasn't the case. but I wasn't ready to admit it to him just yet. admitting this to myself took way more courage then I thought I had, but with all the things that recently happened, I was having trouble trying to process this, along with his parents adopting my brother.

Xavier was officially adopted by the James. sure he still lived with me and I pretty much make all of his important life decisions, but it wasn't the same. it was always me and Xavier, but now it's me, Xavier and Mrs. Jamses when it came to making decisions like school and medications and what hospital and when to take him.

I love that Xavier finally has someone in his life that can give him so much more than I even can, but I raised him like my own since he was two weeks old when our mother took off.

"what is it that makes you feel not ready?" Derk asked. I looked up shocked.

"Can you hear my thoughts?" I asked. he smiled and reached out his large palms to place it on my cheeks.

"No, at least not yet, you have a very expressive face." I looked down at my hands in my lap embarrassed. it wasn't the first time I have heard that.

"is this about Xavier?" he continued when I didn't say anything. For someone who couldn't read minds, he was hitting all the note. I nodded not able to look at his face. using the hand still on my cheeks he moved my chin up to face him.

"Em, no one is Taking Xavier away from you. we are all aware that you are the one who raised him. mom is trying to help despite what it might seem like." I didn't have anything to say to that. Derek always managed to somehow guess what I'm thinking and put me at ease.

"So, Xavier, then...? I mean he can't be the only thing you were worried about?" he arched an eyebrow in question.

"well he's not, I just...I'm not entirely sure what this mate thing entails, I mean what do we do now, do we date, do we get married how does it work I mean, I know that it's really weird that I'm even-..." Derek's lips sto[[ed whatever else I was about to say.

Not realizing I was doing it I kissed him back. My lips melted into his, as his hands that were on my cheeks moved to the back of my kneck to pull me closer to deepen the kiss. 

several heated seconds later, he pulled back and smiled his lopsided grin and answered,

"We can just start with this," and bent his head and took my lips into his.

*********************

Comment

Tell me what you think!!

Or how angry you are, it took me two years!!