chapter one

"Em? Can we please go to the museum? I wanna see the new monkeys? my teacher said they will really be something to look foreword to," whined my little brother.

"Okay fine Xavier. Just give me about ten minutes," I replied feeling really tired of hearing my brother whine about this stupid zoo. "So what are you looking forward to?" I questioned feeling the headache he caused loosen a bit.

My name is Emily and I'm seventeen years old. My parent separated when I was thirteen. Now my dad lives in England where he owns his own business; and my mom, well let's just say she has something better to do than to take care of me and my baby brother. She is in Rome promoting her career as an artist. My brother's name is Xavier and he is so cute. Xavier is three years old and he is the one currently causing my headache.

" So, when are we moving?" Xavier asked, Once we were in the car getting ready to go to the zoo he has been nagging me about.

" How do you know we were moving?" I asked feeling a little guilty. I have been meaning to tell him that we were about to move yet again. he hated every time we moved. But it was necessary especially if we wanted to stay together.

"I heard you and Mr. Randall talking about it the other day," he explained intensifying my guilt even more- for not telling him about it myself. "But it's okay. I'm used to it by now," he added making the guilt turn in to disgust towards myself for doing this to him again.

The thing is, Xavier and I have been moving from place to place ever since mom and dad left so the authorities wouldn't find out and separate us, as i'm still currently a minor. Xavier hasn't had proper friends or home ever since. I feel really bad for moving him to new places all the time. Most of the time I will try to stay in one place for more than a year so he can make new friends and adapt to the place, but since he is shy, it takes too long for things to happen for him, and by the time he is ready to reach out, it time to move again.

"Sweetheart listen to me," I prompted, putting my hand on his shoulder. "I promise I will not move you any more. just this one last time. okay?" I asked looking into his beautiful blue eyes as he stared  back at me.

"Em it's okay. I really don't care. Just promise me that you will never leave me like mom and dad did," he said breaking my heart. Like I could ever leave him. He is my world. I nodded unable to form words as a lump formed in my throat. 

"Xavier I will never leave you. ever! okay?" I asked begging with my eyes for him to believe me. 

"Pinky swear?" He said sticking out his adorable little pinky finger towards my hand. I lifted my hand to intertwine with his small pinky and promised. 

"Pinky-swear," I assured him. I didn't even notice I was crying until droplets of tears fell on my lap. I loved this kid more than my own life. I never understood, how mom was able to leave not one, but both of her kids and not look back. I always imagined a mother's love as an impenetrable bond between her and her child. clearly I was wrong as she proved that by picking her career over us.

"Em, why are you crying?" Xavier asked looking worried.

"I'm not. I'm just so happy," I lied trying to wash the worried expression off his face.

"So, shall we go to the zoo now to see those monkeys of your?" I asked trying to change the subject, as I stood up and dusted my knees- or at least attempted to, as Xavier was now holding onto my leg trying to give me a hug.

"Ya. ya. ya!" he repeated excitedly. I smiled to myself. seeing my little brother this happy about silly things and knowing that I've succeeded at the subject change improved my mood as well.

About ten minute after we got on the road, Xavier fell into a little cat nap. I tried driving slower than I usually would so I wouldn't disturb his little nap. It made me smile to see him snoring lightly, in the back seat of my mini SUV. 

The zoo just happened to be a thirty minute ride, which was a good thing since  Xavier also got plenty of rest by the time we arrived.

After thirty minute of slow driving, we finally arrived at the zoo. I slowly shook Xavier trying to wake him up. "Xavier were here wake up. Come on let's go see the monkeys." I said trying to get him as excited as he was earlier.

"We're here? Really? Okay come on let's go," he said jumping out of the car before I could stop him.  soon enough he was  running toward the zoo's entrance, dragging me along with him. 

*****************************************************************************************************VOTE! 

COMMENT! 

THANKS AND PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK.