41.

NOORIE'S POV

The open of the sky caught everyone unaware. Each drop pelted like shingles against earth and descended as though there was an extra force that propelled them down. I ran, picking up my speed, with an ineffective hand above my head to deter the rain. Subdued tones washed the world into further disarray.

It paused everything to near cessation yet warned everyone that it was here to continue. When I alighted from the bus, I chose not to find a place to stay but rather accept the moment just the way it was and race in it to my home. I craved for the safety and warmth of home as I drenched to the last layer of clothe I had on.

The brown soil immersed in its surges, cars were a canvas of cold smudges of water, thirsty plants basked in its wetness and the people who threaded beneath it accepted been soaked by it. As much as I loved the liquid goodness that relieved earth, I despised it as my feet sprinted across the wet ground that most times ended up in puddles on the streets ruining the new leather sandals I had on.

As I neared the iron wrought gate that gated my house, I slowed down my pace. Warm air whooshed from my nostrils and cold air filled it. My phone vibrated in my bag secured under my arm. I dissuaded checking it. This was one of those moment that came with regret of leaving my car behind just because I did not feel like driving. At the same time, I was grateful I would not be stuck in traffic caused by the rainfall.

The main gate was opened and by it was my father with an umbrella. Despite the wind that blew, threatening to pull the umbrella from his hand, he approached me with a smile. The lower part of his body was saturated in rain.

"Dad!" I called out as I jogged to him. "What are you doing outside?"

"Waiting for you." He dropped a hand on my shoulder, pulling me under the umbrella. "Just come in." He held the gate for me and guided me in without a chance for argument.

Water dripped from my body to form a pool on the spot I stood in the veranda. I yanked off the soaked scarf and cap I had worn under it. My twists were also damp. My bag followed and shoes were off my feet. All I wanted was to get out of the wet clothes, have a warm bath and basked in the warmth of weather worthy clothes.

The earlier protest that had been shut down by my father's words and rush absconded from my lips.

"I was worried. It's already late. The world is not a safe place. Besides, you were not picking your call."

"I could not pick because of the rain." I collected the umbrella from him and closed it. A shiver went through my body as I placed it against the wall. Beads of water fell from it. "You could catch a cold."

"I have not been out for long. Your mother would have done the same."

"And mum would not have approve of you standing under the rain." A chuckle emanated from him. "Dad!" It was all I could say. There was a familiar sensation caused by the sudden saturation of moisture in my eyes.

"Olori, just go in and change."

I grabbed my bag and sandal before trudging in.

"Wasilat!" I called out immediately I was in. The warmth of the house embraced me. The whiff from what had being cooked hours ago still clung to the air.

Wasilat bolted from Alhaja's room.

"Aunty Noor! Thank God. Alhaji and Alhaja can finally be at peace."

"How are you? Please, boil some water and make tea for dad. Ensure it is hot."

"Okay." She pivoted to the kitchen.

"Dad, go in and change. Take a warm shower. You will catch a cold in this."

I left wet footprints in my wake, cursing the event of the day because I have to clean the mess I left behind. Later, I changed into dry clothes and wore a sweater. My palms were cold. The attempt at rubbing them together to warm them up was in vain.