37.

YUSUF'S POV

A toss, the chopped pepper and onions collapsed into the heated palm oil. There was an explosion of oil bits as the pepper mix sputtered in the pan. I had to jump back and try not to wince as specks of hot palm oil touched my skin. It was nothing to worry about except for the stains that would be left behind.

Amatullah had woken up so sick and nauseous. Since Fajr, she had this terrible urge to vomit but was not able to. I had stayed with her in the toilet while she bent over the toilet bowl, waiting and hoping the repulsion in her stomach would end. There was an attempt to force out the content of her stomach by shoving her fingers deep into her throat. It did nothing. She hardly had strength to get up. I had to help her. She was so weak and tired that all she wanted to do was sleep. The worse was she had to go to work because there was a report to present. How will she do it in this state of health?

I felt useless standing there constantly telling her sorry and not able to do anything. At a point, she screamed at me and told me my constant sorry was irritating to her ears. All she wanted was peace and quiet. I left the bathroom slightly hurt by her words but got better when I had her pregnancy hormones to blame.

She came out after taking a bath which had not helped to calm her down. There was a complaint about hunger. When I asked what she would eat, she said boiled irish potatoes and fried scrambled egg but the egg has to be fried with palm oil and must be extremely peppery. Experience from our first pregnancy had taught me one thing, her peppery meant so much pepper that I cannot eat from it. Her tastes buds goes through a drastic change throughout pregnancy.

Just as I poured the fried egg next to the pieces of boiled potatoes, the microwave let out a low beeping sound that indicated the frozen pepper sauce I was warming was almost done. I rushed through getting Amy's breakfast ready, pouring a glass of simmered ginger tea for her and calling her out for breakfast before answering my own needs.

Time was not on my side. My breakfast was also boiled potatoes but with fried pepper sauce which had been in the freezer for two days now. I would rather eat that than settle for egg fried with palm oil. Not just that, she had requested I included any vegetable I can find in the house into the recipe.

I shook my head as I headed out of the kitchen. What should I expect from this pregnancy? What weird cravings will she have? I hope this is better especially her mood swings. I just can't deal with that now. Our first pregnancy had not come with terrible nausea. There was morning sickness that involved vomiting. The second was different. Since she took in, she has not vomited for once but deals with nausea that was uncomfortable and persistent.

"How do you feel?" I questioned as I sat next to her.

"Anything but better?" A hand held her head to support it.

"Sorry babe." I sighed, running an assuring hand over her shoulder.

She placed her hand over mine. "Thanks babe."

"Don't you think you should stay at home for today?" I suggested.

"No. I do not want to. With this ginger tea, the nausea will get better. I heard bananas help too. I will get more when I step out."

"I will be late tonight. Prof Remi's wedding anniversary party is today."

"It's today? I forgot. I do not think I can go with you anymore."

"I understand but he would have loved to meet you."

"I know but I do not feel well. I do not want to go there and be dull. I just want to go to work, come back home and sleep."

"The way you sleep nowadays eh....." I teased, kissing her cheek whilst I settle down next to her.

"It's scary I know. I can sleep literally anywhere but I try to control myself."