26.

YUSUF'S POV

Its black calfskin leather was polished to a mirror shine, very glossy it appeared like I had rubbed some oil over it. The design was so simple, it signified style and elegance. It was handcrafted Italian, featuring stitches across the bottom. Its closed lacing system lets it convene perfectly against the clean edges of the shoe. The foundation of supple, tough rubber offers slip resistance when it comes in contact with slippery surfaces as well as shield against abrasions. With a slight wedge heel, it would give a little but not noticeable lift to anyone's height.

It was the kind of leather shoe everyman needs in his wardrobe. They can be paired with a suit for formal occasion and can make any dark jeans appear fashionable for any posh dinner. They complement the dressing in such a way that screams elegance and class. I love shoes but I am not a fanatic. Something of good quality is better than having a lot. Staring at my new purchase gave me joy that threatened to spill. There was anxiety in my stomach. The kind that came with the thought of wearing the shoes the following week.

I had waited so long to purchase them. For months, I could only stare at them online with appreciation and longing because they were expensive. It took hard work to be able to purchase them. When I closed that deal the previous month with a client, my boss had given me nearly two percent of what we earned. Aside from giving my wife, my dad, siblings and grandmother some money and doing some things in the house, I rewarded myself with the pair of quality oxford shoes not the cheap ones I used to buy at Idumota market. My wife should not know how much I spent on them. She will roast me and there would be a lecture on how I should be prudent in my spending. I had to lie about the price.

I sat up in bed, using the pillow behind to support my back as I played a game on my phone. An alone time as a married man can be rare. It takes a partner who can actually understand and read your mood to let you be. Amy can also be like that. Living with three women in my life had made me understand their mood swing. My wife can wake up in the morning and choose not talk to me. She would be so cranky and annoyed at every little thing I did.

It baffled me at first and had caused lot of arguments between us. But I had to compromise, to understand that you can't be in a good mood all the time. There are times we just want to be alone, enjoy some time unaided. I have those moments too. When I just want to watch sports, play games on my PS4, catch up with friends and do things alone without being interrupted. No cuddling and no together time with my spouse.

Amy barged into the room. Her sudden entry made me lose concentration and I lost the game. I cursed at the failure, a little bit infuriated before looking towards my wife. Heat rose from the back of my neck to my cheeks at the sight of her. My eyes were glued to her frame that swung from left to right in a manner that drew my attention to her hips.

The halter neck top clasped her upper body in a way that moulded her arcs and that cut off shorts exposed pleasant legs, curvy thighs and hugged her round bottom in a way that called out for me to touch them. Omo! I whistled in my head. Tremors ran through my spine, the heat on my face spreading to other parts of my body.

"Hey babe." She started. "Boo boo. Darling. Sweetheart. My life." The praises started. Bells went off in my head. Those words murdered every mushy feeling I felt. I knew what was coming. No! Not this time! Amy won't get what she want from me.

"No!" I answered with defiance without waiting for her request.

"Ade mi. Tee. Habibi." The corners of her mouth twisted as she paused next to me. Her lashes flapped.

"Don't bother, Amatullah." I turned my back against her then snatched my phone from the bed. "I am doing nothing for you. Nada!"

I sensed the gentle dip of the bed behind me. "Don't be like this." A hand touched my rigid arm. Nothing will make me do anything for her. I was not in the mood to work. I just wanted to sit in bed, day dream, procrastinate and play some games on my phone. It was my alone time. "This presentation I am preparing for tomorrow is taking a lot of time. Can you clean my shoes for me?"