chapter eleven: assignments

Kenzie's POV

Johnny's phone started to ring. We immediately separated. Were we actually about to kiss? For a second, it really felt like it was gonna happen. Guess not.

Johnny takes his phone out of his pocket. Nadia was the one calling him. He declined the call. At first, he was staring at me but after I looked away, he started driving. The whole way home was silent. But when we arrived in front of my house, I said thank you before stepping out of the car.

I hope my friendship with Johnny hasn't been ruined.

(Time skip to the next morning)

I didn't get much sleep last night. I was too busy thinking about what happened , or shall I say what ALMOST happened.

I'm walking in the halls with Brynn and I see Johnny. He looks like he didn't get much sleep either. We met eyes for just a second before he decided to turn the other way and walk. Soon enough I couldn't see him.

Brynn: Was he ignoring you?
Kenzie: I don't know..

I guess it's better for things to be like this. If we stop talking again , then I can't fall in love with him and he won't remember anything. Perfect. Then it's all happily ever after...

It hurts to leave behind everything again but I have to try for Johnny's sake. If it didn't work out before , then it won't work out now.

Brynn: You won't know until you try.
Kenzie: Did I say that out loud?
Brynn: Every word haha but I think you should try to keep your friendship with Johnny. I can see that you guys are good for each other.
Kenzie: I'll think about it.

I say bye to Brynn and go into class. Johnny was in this class. I'm gonna talk to the teacher afterwards to see if I can stop tutoring him. If I still had to tutor him, things would be so awkward.

Teacher: So I'm going to be assigning projects and you will work with a partner. The project will be due next week. I recommend you meet with your partners this week to plan things out. This project will have a major contribution to your grade. So for those who are failing, be sure you do your best to try and get those grades up.

I'm hoping I get anyone else but Johnny.

Teacher: So the partners are..
Nadia and Alex ( random person )
Hayden and Annie
...
...
...
Mackenzie and

I cross my fingers. Please don't be Johnny, please don't be Johnny.

Johnny.

GREAT. Just my luck.

I spoke to my teacher after class and he said that I couldn't switch partners. Apparently he thinks that "Johnny could learn a lot from me and it could help improve his grade." There's plenty of other smart people in my class. But somehow he ended up with me. I feel like the universe wants me to suffer ughhhh.

I walked to my locker and found a sticky note attached to it.

Meet me near my car afterschool. We need to talk.
~Johnny

I wonder what he needs to talk about. Is he actually gonna talk about what almost happened?

Guess I'll find out later.

(A/N: Ahhhh 3k views tysm💝💝 Leave a vote if you like it , I appreciate it.😝💖)