chapter seven: aftertalks

Kenzie's POV

It's been two days since the party. I haven't talked to Johnny since then. After I told Brynn what happened, we decided it would be best that I keep my distance from Johnny. I don't want to make things more complicated.

I was walking in the halls with Brynn and I saw Johnny by his locker. I turned the opposite direction , I hope he didn't notice me. I don't want to talk to him , even if it means I have to take the long way to class.

I just realized that I have to tutor him later. Great. There's no avoiding him there. I hope he's forgotten about what happened at his party.

(Time skip to afterschool)

Kenzie: Brynn can you please come to the library with me?
Brynn: Kenz, you're gonna have to talk to him at some point. I'm not letting you use me as a distraction.
Kenzie: Ugh fine
Brynn: Just tell me what happens, okay?
Kenzie: Okay see ya Brynn

Breathe in. Breathe out. I reallyyy hope he doesn't bring it up.

I walked into the library and saw Johnny already sitting at a table. He's early today. That's not a good sign.

I walked over to the table and Johnny looked up from his phone.

Johnny: Oh hi Kenz.
Kenzie: Hi...
Johnny: So what am I going to learn today?

He gives me a big smile. Ugh why does he have to be so cute?!?!?!

Kenzie: Uh.. I was thinking we could go over compounds
Johnny: Sure, whatever you say.
Kenzie: So one example of a compound is sodium hydroxide which is a combination of sodium , oxygen and hydrogen. It is written chemically as NaOH.

I noticed that he was just staring at me.

Kenzie: Johnny? Did you hear anything I just said?

He just continues staring at me.

Kenzie: What? Is there something on my face?
Johnny: Kenz, be honest, are you okay?
Kenzie: What makes you think I'm not? Of course I'm okay.

He reaches out and grabs my hand.

Johnny: Are you sure? You don't look okay to me.
Kenzie: Yes I'm sure. See look I'm smiling , I'm 100% okay.
Johnny: That's not your smile. Just tell me what's wrong because I know you're not okay.

Why can he read people so well???

Kenzie: Johnny, I'm telling you , I'm fine.

I take my hand back forcing him to let go.

Johnny: Kenz, you can tell me a thousand times that you're fine but I know and you know that you're not.

I hate to admit it but he's right. A tear starts to roll down my cheek. I don't want to cry in front of him. I wipe the tear off my cheek. I can't break down in the library. Not in front of everyone , especially Johnny.

Johnny: Kenz.. Can you please tell me what's wrong? I hate seeing you like this.

I shake my head no. I'm not ready to tell him.

Johnny: I'll take you home and we'll talk about it along the way, okay?

I don't give a response but he still gets up and drags me with him. We head out to the parking lot and get into his car. I'm still staring into space. He puts my seatbelt on for me.

He places his hand on my knee.

Johnny: Please tell me, whenever I see you sad, I get sad too.

He's so caring and thoughtful. Why is he treating me so different? He doesn't show this side of him to any other girl. Does he remember me? I hope not.

He sits in his seat and drives off.

This is going to be a long ride.

(A/N: Thanks for all the votes, you guys are amazing 💖)