chapter nine: sleepovers

Kenzie's POV

Kenzie: Johnny you don't have to cry for me.
Johnny: I don't know why but whenever I see you sad or hurt , I get sad too.

I don't know what to say. He's never told me that before.

Johnny: I'm sorry if this is so awkward ...
Kenzie: No it's fine..
Johnny: You can go get some rest in Lauren's room. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

He seemed so sad. I didn't want to just leave him like that. But what else could I say that wouldn't cause him to remember everything?

I stared at him for a few seconds before deciding it was best to just leave. I walk into Lauren's room and I see Lauren sitting on her bed.

It's been a while since I've had a long conversation with her. She knows about everything that happened. But since me and Johnny stopped talking , I drifted from Lauren too. Hopefully we can talk just like old times.

Lauren: Hey Kenzie, it's been a while since you've slept over.
Kenzie: I know right, we have a lot of catching up to do.
Lauren: So why is my brother making you stay here?
Kenzie: He doesn't want me to be alone in my house .
Lauren: Wait are you guys back together? Yesssss JENZIE IS REALLLLL!!!!
Kenzie: Keep your voice down , he might hear you. And no we are not together , we're just friends I guess.
Lauren: "Friendsssss" okay whatever you say Kenz.

Suddenly she jumps out of her bed and runs to her bag.

Lauren: I have to give you something

She reaches into her bag and takes out a white card. She gives it to me.

I look at it and realize it's a picture of me and Johnny. It was from that party at his house. He's hugging me and I'm hugging him. Lauren is such a good photographer.

Kenzie: How did you even get a picture of this?
Lauren: Johnny left the door opened a bit so I peeked through and saw you guys hugging. I took a picture quickly cause I couldn't let that moment go to waste. Then I closed the door so Brandon and Nadia can't find you guys.
Kenzie: Omg thank you so much Lauren.

I opened my phone case and put the picture there. I closed it and turned it around. The picture looked amazing but it just reminds me of how things used to be. I wish I could always hug him like that. But he's just gonna think I'm weird so I have to resist not to.

Lauren: Johnny still doesn't know right?
Kenzie: Nope and I'd like to keep it like that.
Johnny: What don't I know?

Shoot. I didn't even notice he was at the door.

Kenzie: Uh.. We were just talking about school. Things you wouldn't know haha...
Johnny: Oh I see. Even in my house all you talk about is school. You should try having some more fun. Tomorrow after school we're going somewhere okay?
Kenzie: Uh..yeah okay.

He leaves the room. Whew. That was a close call. Luckily he bought that.

Kenzie: Let's not talk about that while the doors are open.
Lauren: Agreed.

(Time skip to three hours later)

Lauren: Kenz I'm getting tired so I'm gonna go to sleep now. We have school tomorrow too so see ya in the morning.
Kenz: Alright goodnight Lolo!

I lay down and stare at the ceiling. I'm not sleepy at all. A lot has been happening lately and it is not helping me sleep at all. I still don't even understand why Johnny cares so much about me being alone in my house. I can take care of myself just fine.

I have to start keeping my distance from Johnny. I don't want to risk him remembering anything. Oh wait. I still have to tutor him until he does really well. Ugh.

I look at my phone. It's 1:25 AM. I have to get ready for school in 5 1/2 hours. But I can't fall asleep. Why does Johnny have to do this to me?

I decided to go downstairs and get a glass of milk. Hopefully it will help me fall asleep. I'm walking down the stairs and I realize how dark the living room is. I couldn't seem to find the light switch so I just used my phone as a flashlight.

Finally I found the fridge. I opened it and took out the milk. I shut the fridge door and..

"BOOOOOO!!!"

I jumped and dropped the carton of milk.

"Who said that?"

I was really scared. Suddenly I hear a person clap and the lights all turned on. Wow I didn't know they could do that.

"Johnny?!?!"

He picks up the carton of milk and passes it to me.

Johnny: So what are you doing getting a carton of milk at 2 in the morning ?!!!
Kenzie: I couldn't fall asleep but why would you scare me like that?!?!
Johnny: I don't know it was just funny.

What a great reason.

I walked past him and got a glass from the cupboard and poured myself a glass of milk.

Johnny: How did you know the cups were there?

Whoops. I forgot about that.

Kenzie: I um.. Just guessed cause it looked like a cupboard that would have cups in them...

"Oh" was the only thing that came out of his mouth. He probably didn't believe that.

Kenzie: Why aren't you sleeping?
Johnny: I couldn't fall asleep so I came down to find something to eat. Instead I found you.
Kenzie: Same. You know we have school in 5 hours and we haven't gotten any sleep yet.
Johnny: Your right , we should go get some sleep.

We walk upstairs and I try to open Lauren's door. Oh no. It's locked. How am I gonna get in now????

Kenzie: Johnny? Do you happen to have a key to Lauren's room?
Johnny: Nope only Lauren does.
Kenzie: Great. Just great.
Johnny: Why?
Kenzie: Lauren's door is locked.
Johnny: Ohhhh. You can stay in my room if you'd like.
Kenzie: No it's fine, I'll go sleep on the couch.
Johnny: No Kenz, I know how much you hate that couch. I'll sleep on the couch and you sleep in my room.
Kenzie: It's your house so you stay in your room.

I walk away so he couldn't say anything back. I laid down on the couch. I yawned so I must have been starting to get sleepy. Soon enough, my vision went black and I fell asleep.

(A/N: Sorry this update took so long , I was really busy. 😥 But now I'm gonna go back to my regular updating schedule so stay tuned for more. And don't forget to leave a vote if ya liked it.💗😝)