A deadman's wish

[4 Years Ago]

Double shot espressos and what's close to insomnia?
Sleep has become a far away memory.
Just like kindergarten friends and her mom.
Nara learned something quite practical during her lifetime as a loose loner. Memories weren't reliable.
A sleep deprived brain oh, not so much.

Lightning her cigarette, she let the frigid air scrape her flushed cheeks like hard knives, this time of year it's hardly cold outside but early mornings were a different story. Her eyes not yet deterred from her prey; right from across the street enjoying his coffee, as if he was celebrating the beginnings of the day. If he'd known better she bet he wouldn't play the safe card on that one. If she had, she would've picked a hot beverage herself before she got here.

Glancing at her watch for confirmation, 2 minutes 3 seconds left. This was a special target; it came with a big pop sickle and a time table.
The guy is a dermatologist working for a huge pharmaceutical company that was located right above his head, and she, sitting on the rooftop of Trillion's restaurant - a decision she has been regretting because as it turned out his kitchen fans were fuming spicy smells at her face - was hired to finish him. Nara didn't mention that he's Big Gerbil's second nephew because she wasn't supposed to know this trivial detail.

The trivial detail which got her to accept the job.

Ronnie Mandela. She'd never met him though. Heard about his pets. Saw pictures of him with those pets. But never met him in person.

The big boss knew how to protect his clan from the pulls of the job. Gave 'em the merits without having to mind the backwash. Tucked it all for the likes of her.

Nara swung the pop sickle on her fingers counting down the seconds.

-

"Crazy that one"

"Show me another"

"What's with him and these ferrets man"

Her company were huddled in a small circle shuffling through photos while she struggled to keep her stance on an empty stomach.

"The fu*ing psycho must be experimenting on 'em"

"Are you nuts?"

"Hand me the tape"

"I'm serious. Why else is he stacking 'em up"

"Shh, or someone will hear"

"Hear what? I'm not sayin' a thing"

"You're sayin' plenty, now hand me the tape. She's waking up"

-

Ronnie Mandela is sure about to get it in the head.