Chapter 68

Lord Takeda struggled with his imposed separation from Lottie. He missed her more than ever and resented every moment he had to spend in Edo, away from her. But he was well aware that he must endure it without even a hint of displeasure. As she had suggested, he sought the company of the young Shōgun and his council. He was treated with politeness, but also with a slight suspicion and nothing of importance was ever discussed in front of him.

To confuse his enemies, he allowed Nabutada to leak to a few people that the Lord had mentioned recently feeling rather lonely and that perhaps the time had come to start thinking of finding another wife. This remark was swiftly followed by a flurry of invitations to all the noble houses who had daughters of suitable age, or had daughters at all, no matter of what age. Anyone would be overjoyed by marrying a daughter to the Emperor's relative and one of the greatest Daimyōs in Japan.

This, in turn, gave the Lord an unexpected opportunity to slip away to Kanagawa for a few weeks, under a pretext of visiting his favourite silk merchant. "It shames me to appear in front of everyone in these old rags." He pointed to his exquisite kimono. "I must refresh my wardrobe before I can be seen in public." He greatly enjoyed his stay away from Edo and meeting his old friend, Lord Matsuda. They had a lot to talk about. On his return from Kanagawa Takeda learned about the latest attempt on Anna's life. His blood boiled with anger, although he knew he had no proof against Saitō.

Now the time had come to accept the countless invitations and to visit every noble family in turn. He was polite to all, but careful not to show that he favoured any above the rest. It amused him greatly to be treated like royalty. At the same time he carefully avoided his old nemesis, but when they met in the Shōgun's presence, he behaved with the ice-cold politeness.

However, the confrontation was inevitable. The men bumped into each other after a feast in the palace. They had both had a little too much to drink and neither was willing to back off.

"You're a fool!" Spat Saitō, his face bright red. "A fool, blinded by love and desire! Or worse - bewitched by the sorceress! She will be your downfall!"

"She is not a witch!" Takeda's eyes narrowed and he grabbed the hilt of his katana.

"All Gai-Jin should be expelled!" Saitō continued, the spit foaming in the corners of his mouth. "They are a disease!"

Nabutada deftly stepped in front of his Lord to prevent him from drawing the sword. Similarly, Saitō's attendants were trying to lead him away. Nobody wanted a drunken brawl outside the Shōgun's chambers.

"You will pay for that!" Takeda exclaimed hotly, momentarily loosing his legendary composure. "I will find the proof it was you all along! And you will pay!" He growled with menace. Saitō only laughed with contempt.

The Lords were separated and bloodshed temporarily avoided, but the gossip spread immediately all over Edo. There was much speculation on the subject of the Lords' open animosity and the mention of a witch.

The next morning brought Lord Takeda a massive headache and... the news of a pox outbreak in Kyōto. He wanted to go there immediately, but Nabutada was once again the voice of reason. "My Lord, if the palace is in a lock-down, we won't be able to get there anyway." He persuaded. "Besides, you can't risk getting ill yourself."

"But Lottie is there! And Mariko!

"I know, My Lord. But we are not able to help them at the moment. We must wait."

*

Her predictions proved accurate and after a week the Prince was feeling fine. He was very bored though, locked inside his room all the time, even if Anna was doing everything she could think of to amuse and entertain him.

"How do you know Japanese if you are not from here?" He asked her once.

"I grew up in Japan."

"Is your country far away?"

"Yes. Many days on a ship, across the great sea."

"Weren't you afraid to go on a ship?"

"No. I like the sea." She smiled.

"I wish I could travel and see many countries." He said longingly; his little face earnest. "Do you think I will be able to do so, when I grow up?"

"When you are the Emperor you can do whatever you want."

"Tell me more stories from your country." He demanded. His attention easily diverted. "About the wild horses and the hunting."

She just smiled again and spoke at length of real and imaginary adventures she had had in America.

She liked Prince Sachi. He was a curious boy. And clever. It was obvious he was being prepared to be a future Emperor. He liked her too. Just like Haru, he loved her playfulness and the fact that she always treated him with such respect. He liked when she started calling him Sachi mīn, using a Norwegian endearment.

Some of the Prince's usual servants had also recovered and now Anna could leave him for short periods to check on Mariko and the boy's mother. Luckily, Mariko avoided the illness and stayed safely in her rooms. Lady Nakayama was also recovering, although she would need a few more days of rest.

On her return Anna found a stranger with the Prince. "Who are you?" She looked taxingly at the young woman kneeling next to Sachi's bed.

"My name is Kikō." She bowed with pretence of humility. "I've brought some medicine for the Prince."

"I've never seen you before." Anna got suddenly suspicious. "And he doesn't need any medicine." Kikō tried to force a bowl into the boy's hand. "Sachi mīn, please don't drink that!" Anna implored and the Prince pushed it away. "And you, step away from the boy!" She ordered, turning to the servant. Once again Kikō made an attempt to make him drink, but failing that, she rose, unexpectedly drawing her weapon. "Guards!" Anna shouted and with a quick movement she jumped between the boy and a would-be-assassin, with her Tanto in hand. "She's just tried to poison the Prince!" She shouted to the entering soldiers.

But before they had a chance to seize her, the woman gulped the content of the bowl she was still holding. There was no immediate effect and Anna started to think she had been too hasty in her accusations.

The woman stared at her with pure hatred. "Gai-Jin witch!" She snarled. Then she dropped both the bowl and the knife and with a jerk fell to the floor. There was foam on her lips and even if Anna had called for the doctor immediately, she knew it would have been in vain. Kikō kicked her legs a few more times in pain and then stopped moving altogether.

Sachi was scared. He ran to Anna in search of comfort and protection.

One look on his arrival told the doctor that the woman was dead. "What has happened?" He looked at Anna who was hugging the boy.

"Someone tried to kill the Prince." She answered calmly. "We need to double his guard and screen everybody who has access to him."

Mushiso looked at her with awe. But he did not voice his thoughts. "Lady Nakayama is recovering fast and there is no more danger for the Prince, if he joins her." He said instead.

Anna just nodded. "That would be the best solution."