Chapter 53

Lottie spent the rest of the day with her father. They shared a small meal and talked more, again recounting everything that had happened during the last twenty years.

"When I saw you last time, you were a little girl of seven." He stroked her face with tenderness. "Now you are a grown woman, and samurai at that. I can't even tell you how proud you make me for achieving so much by your own merits."

"I remembered the things you taught me." She was embarrassed by his praise. "I wanted to be just like you - brave and independent. Not bound by the convention or birth rights..." A sudden thought struck her. "But you must have taught Hikaru the same virtues. It explains why he is so different from other men!"

"You honour me, My Lady." He bowed to her, but smiled happily at the same time. "But it is getting late. You should get back." He rose with the agility of a younger man. If it wasn't for his disability he would have been in very good shape for his age.

They walked together towards Tori, where Lottie found her entourage waiting. "Kazuki," She exclaimed with worry. "You should not be here! You are still not well."

"My Lady." He bowed with dignity, and she realised that something had changed about him. He held himself differently.

"Kazuki-San had been seriously wounded, protecting me during the recent ambush." She explained to her father.

"I am well enough to ride, My Lady. You honour me with your concern."

"People seem to love you." Her father said quietly in Norwegian. "I can hear it in his voice."

She left it without comment, happy that she could still understand his native language. "May I come again tomorrow?" She looked at him with tenderness.

"Of course, my child. We have a lot to discuss." He embraced her.

Kazuki stepped forward to help her mount and they left the temple grounds.

Lottie was silent on the way and nobody dared to interrupt her thoughts.

After their return to the residence she forced Kazuki to retire to his room and rest. He obeyed with a smile. Then she returned to her own quarters to leave the swords. Straight from there she went to the bath house. Sumiko brought her a clean kimono and helped her to dress. She immediately noticed a profound change in her Lady. Lottie seemed to be more excited, but more composed and calmed at the same time.

"Sumiko, please send some food for Kazuki-San. And have something brought for me as well. I feel quite hungry."

"Hai, My Lady. Shall I order tea as well?"

"Yes, thank you."

Food was waiting when she returned to her room. She ate, without even noticing what it was, because she knew she needed to regain her strength. On the way from the temple she had decided to become samurai as soon as possible; not only in name, but in skill as well. She would train and learn to fight with swords. She would never again let anybody attack her and force her to retreat!

After the meal she sent Sumiko to ask if she could speak to Lord Takeda. The girl returned soon with a message that the Lord would see her whenever she was ready. She rose immediately and was taken to his rooms in the opposite wing of the residence.

'I really need to learn finding my own way around here!' She thought, not for the first time.

"My Lord." She bowed after entering.

"My Lady," He bowed politely back. "Please, come in. What can I do for you?"

"My Lord... Hikaru," She said quietly, when they were alone again. "Thank you for bringing me to him."