Chapter 43

They travelled slowly, but finally, after another day, they reached Lord Takeda's residence.

It was impressive.

Seen from the ridge they had just crested, it resembled a town in itself, with many buildings, gardens and broad avenues. Anna was astonished by the sheer scale and size of it. How many people lived there and served the Lord?

The entire complex backed onto an unassailable mountain and the sole access point was blocked by the fast flowing river. Only one stone bridge spanned both banks. It was beautiful and picturesque, but narrow and, along with the river, it served as an excellent defensive position.

Seeing the Lord and his retinue approaching, everybody backed off the road and fell to their knees. Anna felt countless eyes resting on her. Was it simple curiosity or hostility, she didn't know.

As they passed across the bridge, her gaze fell on the hills surrounding the residence. A small temple was erected at the summit. There was a narrow path winding its way up the hill which disappeared at the end among the browns and greens of the vegetation. The sun was setting slowly behind the mountains, turning the sky to a crimson red that added to the unearthly aspect of the temple.

The entering retinue was welcomed in the courtyard by the entire population of the residence. Everybody was here to greet the returning Lord.

Anna was barely able to sit straight in the saddle. She felt dizzy, but desperately tried to stay upright. And then the world started to swirl in front of her eyes. With the rest of her strength she tried to dismount, but she felt she was falling into a deep and dark nothingness... Her face turned deathly pale...

One of the servants noticed it and shouted in warning. Those standing nearest rushed to stop her falling and she was gently lowered from the horse.

But before they managed to lay her down, Lord Takeda appeared at her side. He lifted her into his arms and walked briskly inside, giving orders for rooms to be prepared immediately for his guest.

Mushiso followed. Once in the Lord's private apartments, Takeda delicately laid Anna on a futon and stepped back, giving his physician the space to examine the unconscious woman. But he was very worried and couldn't stop pacing in his anxiety.

"What's wrong?!" He demanded from Mushiso and the doctor decided that he couldn't hide Anna's state any longer. But to save his face, he spent a long time examining her.

"Is she all right?" The Lord wasn't even trying to hide his concern.

"My Lord." Mushiso bowed. "Lady Ana is young and strong. The loss of blood weakened her and could cause the fainting. Perhaps the long journey was not advised in her state..." He left the sentence unfinished.

"You assured me that her wound was not dangerous." The Lord's eyebrows furrowed in anger, but his voice remained deadly quiet. "You said she only needed rest."

"My Lord, I only meant that Ana-San is in... a delicate state." He stressed the last words.

"What are you..." Lord Takeda stopped short, finally understanding a discreet diagnosis. His face took an expression of complete and utter astonishment.

He sent the doctor away with a wave of his hand, not even looking at him. He sat down, but immediately leaped back up again. Suddenly, his world took on an entire different aspect.

He came close to Anna's prone body and knelt next to her. He stroked her cheek with tenderness. He felt overwhelmed with the strength of his feelings for her. Only with great self-control was he able to stop himself embracing her and holding in his arms.