Chapter 67

The solution to their difficulties arrived the next morning, in the form of a letter. It was delivered to Lady Mariko, who called Anna and Harada as soon as she read it. "His Highness has heard about this outrageous attack and has decided that it would be too dangerous for us to continue traveling to the palace every day." She related the content of the letter. "Therefore, I am invited to come and stay at the palace until Lord Takeda's return. A suitable escort will be provided and I am to take with me as many of my attendants and guards as I wish." She looked up. "This is a great honour." She said, looking at her companions with a mixture of pride and awe.

"My Lady," Harada bowed. "It's a perfect way to ensure your safety."

Nobody mentioned that the real target for the attack was Anna. Although she had no doubts that, deprived of one possibility, Saitō will find another. Poison, perhaps. But moving to the palace was the best solution for their problem and Anna nodded her assent.

"Very well," Mariko announced. "I've been told that our escort is already waiting at the gate. Harada-San, please, choose the people you want to go with us. Ana-San, please prepare." With that the meeting was over.

Anna went to her room to gather the few things she was going to take with her. Her swords will have to remain here, but she had other weapons she could take and conceal on her person. She would not be defenceless. Then she went outside to supervise the servants and soldiers gathering in the courtyard.

Kazuki was already there. "My Lady," He grinned in greeting. "I told you something would come up."

"Kazuki, always the optimist." She grinned back. Then she stepped closer, suddenly very serious. "I want you to make sure Mariko is safe during our trip to the palace."

"My Lady, my highest priority is your wellbeing." He was taken aback by her instruction.

"I will be fine." She cut him off. "That's an order."

"Hai." He just bowed, but his eyes flashed.

After a short while Mariko stepped out into the courtyard. She looked fresh and radiant, as if nothing had happened the previous day. She surveyed her entourage and with a nod of approval entered her palanquin. The gates opened and immediately they were surrounded by the armed guards. The commander stepped forward and with surprise Anna recognised him as the one who had come to their rescue the day before. This made her think.

"My Lady," The commander bowed to Mariko. "Please, allow me to escort you to the palace."

"Let us go." Came her calm reply.

"Hai."

Anna stayed close to the palanquin, surveying the street for any sign of danger.

This many guards caused a major sensation. Although all Kyōto had already been talking about the ambush, not many expected this course of action. Anna thought that the Emperor must have been told about the previous attacks and treated this one with all due consideration. Her assumptions were confirmed when they were met by one of the court officials, who was to escort Lady Mariko to her new quarters. At the same time Anna was taken straight to the Emperor.

"Your Highness." She bowed, entering his presence.

"I was told by Lord Takeda that an attempt on your life was likely, but... I didn't think they would dare to try this close to the palace." He was truly shocked by the audacity of the assassins. "Is Lady Mariko unharmed?"