Chapter 11

"What in hell could have delayed her?!" Commander Morrison, as always, was allowing his emotions to get the better of him. Norton was trying to mitigate him, but the soldier was as quick-tempered as always. He was pacing impatiently from wall to wall with a face like thunder. But they were all quite unsettled.

When the servants led them inside, Anna was still absent.

They slowly walked in, unsure what should happen now. Mr Bracknell vowed that in the future he would pay more attention to the things Anna was telling them over and over again. They had allowed themselves to rely on her far too much.

As they walked, they could see many Japanese sitting on both sides of the hall and Lord Matsuda, at the other end, resting on a raised dais. All of the Lord's officials were dressed with great care, in richly decorated layers of silk kimonos. And each of them was armed with two swords. It all made quite an intimidating impression on the westerners. If they were to believe Anna, those swords were able to wreak havoc at the slightest provocation.

In the moment they entered, Lord Matsuda's face clouded with displeasure that their interpreter was absent. He was so looking forward to learning things about the foreigners, but he would have to curb his curiosity and wait for another opportunity. He quickly composed himself and his face became inscrutable.

After a few steps the Americans stopped. "We will have to manage ourselves, I guess." As a sailor, Norton was quite used to the unexpected and he took the new situation in his stride. "I think we should bow and wait for the invitation to sit down."

The others followed his lead, bowing with a little stiff backs.

Lord Matsuda nodded slightly in reply. With a gesture he beckoned them forward and indicated they should sit down on prepared cushions.

While they were settling down, a guard appeared at the side of the Lord and quietly reported something to him. Matsuda's expression registered astonishment, but he regained control almost immediately.

"Something must have happened!" Mr Trent was very nervous. Without Anna everything seemed almost impossible.

Matsuda gave an order and a small screen door opened at the back of the hall. The Americans drew a collective sigh of relief as they saw Anna entering.

But she was quite pale and her kimono looked crumpled and dirty in places. On her arm she had tied a scarf of some kind, that added to the general impression of dishevelment. However, her face was blank and inscrutable. She knelt at the door and bowed deeply.

Lord Matsuda invited her closer with a gesture, so she rose slowly and approached the sitting Americans. She knelt and bowed again.

"We are glad you were able to join us." The Lord spoke before she had a chance to open her mouth.

"My Lord, please forgive my tardiness..."

He stopped her with a gesture. "Let us not talk about it now."

She understood that he had been told about the incident, and didn't want to discuss it now, in front of everybody.

"Hai, Matsuda-Sama." She bowed with gratitude. Even if she wanted, she wouldn't be able to describe what had happened in the garden, so after a moment she started the official part of their meeting. "Lord, my companions wish to express their gratitude for the welcome they have received in your domain."

"I am glad they find their stay here pleasurable. I trust they don't lack for anything."

"We have everything we might wish for, My Lord. And as a sign of gratitude we would like to offer you a small token of our friendship." She motioned to her companions.