Chapter 46

Lord Takeda walked briskly to his sister's quarters.

Mariko sat alone in the middle of her reception room. She was pale and looked very solemn.

"Mariko, what is the matter?" He asked, a little worried by her demeanour.

"My Lord." She bowed low, almost touching her forehead to the floor. "I have failed you. I have allowed your son to be in such danger." Her voice was breaking with remorse. "The shame is unbearable and I wish to ask your permission to end my life."

"Mariko!" He interrupted her. His tone was so firm that she didn't dare to continue. "It was not your fault."

"You have entrusted me with his safety."

"Haru is safe." He said gently.

"Only because of Gai-Jin. She saved your son."

"That's true. She is an exceptionally brave woman. You should get to know her better... It was not your fault." He repeated. "It was just an accident."

"My Lord..."

"Your request is denied!" He stated with authority. "If you feel responsible, find a way to prevent any similar accidents in the future. I don't want to hear of it again!"

"Yes, My Lord." She bowed with humility.

He only nodded and left her, annoyed by such nonsense. His next steps were directed to his son's rooms.

Dry and warm, Haru was practicing the art of writing.

"My Lord." He bowed to his father.

"Haru," Takeda lifted the boy onto his knee. "Do you understand what happened at the lake?"

"Yes, father. My tutor has already explained it to me."

"Is there anything you would like to say?"

"My Lord, I understand that it was irresponsible to play so close to the water. But I forgot myself. Lady Ana played the monster so exquisitely."

Only with an effort Takeda managed to suppress a smile. "Anything else?" He looked at the boy with a stern face.

"I know I owe Ana-San my life and I wish to thank her myself when she is feeling better."

Takeda was very proud of his son. "Yes. We all owe her a great debt. Lady Ana also saved my life."

"Will you tell me?" The boy's eyes were big with surprise and curiosity.

"Another time perhaps. Now I must return to make sure she is all right."

He hugged his son and left him to continue the writing lesson.

Returning to his rooms, he found Anna seated in front of a beautifully decorated screen, admiring its artistry. It depicted Sakura, a cherry blossom. The craftsmanship was perfect. The flowers looked as if they were real and were gently swaying on the breeze.

"That is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen." She whispered in awe.

He recalled that art was one of her passions and smiled, happy to provide details about the artist. "It's Hokusai."

"My Lord?" She looked at him with incomprehension.

"The artist." He explained. "His name was Hokusai. He was famous for his woodblock prints of Mount Fuji. Although, I am certain that some of his works were in his daughter's hand." He smiled. "She was just like you, independent and talented."

She bowed her head in thanks. And then she looked again around the room. "My Lord, your home is so beautiful." With a gesture she encompassed the screen, the prints on the wall, intricately decorated furniture and everything else he owned.