(10) Ouch.

-PERCY POV-

Maui and Moana went ahead and started to venture further out of the forest whilst I stayed in between the trees, searching for the gem. 

At first, everything seemed completely normal; almost mirroring the large amount of trees we had in America. My sweat was dripping from my forehead as I bent down to check the roots of the trees to see if it was hidden there, my eyes would always start to flutter close when I looked up at the sky only to see it was still very bright out.

It was the moment when the branch above me shifted the once comforting air. My head snapped up, green eyes looking at the branch that started to make a cracking noise.  I peeked up and saw a dark black shape lodge in between the branches and the leaves. I didn't know if it was dangerous or not, but I did the obvious thing and jumped for it.

It took a few pathetic tries but after the last one, I caught it in my palm. It prickled- sharp edges piercing my skin - but that didn't matter. No, because the next thing I knew, I was out cold on the grassy floor.

-=-

I was lying in sticky mud when I woke up. The browns liquid sticking to my skin in clumps and when I peeled my eyes open, raindrops fell from the sky and dropped a millimetre away from me before it directed itself somewhere else- somewhere that's not touching me. I was completely dry.

I groaned. "Is the gem okay?"

I heard Moana's voice shouting from the left side of my ear, making me cringe away. She apologised. "You really just fainted and you're asking if the gem is okay?"

"Yes."

She rolled her eyes. "Maui went to get it." She pulled out a hand to help me get up. "First you wash up on my island, then you speed our boat on water. Now rain seems to avoid you. Anything else you want to tell us?"

She looked at me, her eyes wide as she gets soaked from the bellies of the cloud. I held the water away from her and dried her.

"No. I really don't. Thanks for the offer though." I told her, feeling around for riptide in my pocket.

Instead of answering, she rolls her eyes and leads me down the hill where we could hear the distant screams of joy as Maui finally catches it.

"WHOOO! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!" I held in a laugh as he picked it up and took it to eye level. "That's right you nincompoop. You've just been caught by the great Maui. No one gets away from me!"

By that point, I couldn't help but laugh at his delirious state. I didn't care when his head snapped to mine, embarrassed. Instead, I fell to the floor as a wet Maui stomped on the ground furiously like a kid.

When I finally stopped, Moana had stopped giggling as well. Maui was furious and stomped towards me.

"Hush up Demigod." He told me, arms crossed.

"You okay there, Maui? You look a little wet." Moana teased, sticking her tongue out.

"I never knew you got that excited after a nice jog." I added as an afterthought.

Before he could grab and strangle me though, I made a run back to the boat just to trip on a blue hat.

I looked down and picked it up. Examining it with rigger, I gave it no thought as I placed it on my head.

After all, there were many times where I was the first to touch something potentially dangerous.

...but it's just a hat?

Isn't it?

-=-

We've decided to stay the night on the island. No, not because we wanted somewhere more comfortable to sleep rather than the shaking wooden tiles of the boat. And no, not because we wanted the heat and comfort of land.

But because the freaking chicken was getting sea sick.

Like, come on!

But I guess I couldn't complain because the little hut we made out of leaves and branches wasn't the worst. I somehow managed to light a fire- even if it did take an hour (I'm no Annabeth)- which was a miracle in itself. And now we were comfortably sitting around the fire, silently thinking to ourselves.

Well, I did try to think about something but my brain was dead. Literal flatlining on itself. So instead I tried to look like I was having an inner debate with myself by placing a finger on my chin.

Not quite as good as how the Stolls did it, though.

"What you thinking about, Percy?" Maui asked, watching him. "You look like you're having an inner debate with yourself."

I inwardly smirked. "Uh.. oh you know. Politics, algebra, the reason why we live."

There was a beat of silence. "What about you?"

I heard Moana's giggle beside Maui. "Just about that new hat you got."

I frowned. "Oh, this?"

I touched the brim of the soft leather material at the top of my head. Humming k said, "I found it."

Maui frowned. "Can I see it?"

Not seeing a reason to deny him, I nodded and took it off my head. I passed it to him across the fire and he caught it easily.

Moana peeked from behind his shoulder and watched as Maui turned the hat from inside to out. The way he prodded every corner of the hat before flipping it over and reaching into it.

We looked as his face frowned in confusion, hands moving more violently under the hat as the stars began to show.

"What is it Maui?" Moana asked.

He shushed her quietly before pulling his hand out of the hat to reveal a crumpled up paper in his palm.

Moana was quick to take it. "It's a bunch of numbers. There are ten. It's-"

"-no!-" Maui said in disbelief while my jaw went slack.

"-the combination."

-=-

SOOO... YEAH.

Sorry for the late update! But I'm packing up to move to a different country - a boarding school - so I might not update as often...

please VOTE and SHARE!