(8) Whirlpool of Emotions

- PERCY POV -

I was thankful when they didn't hesitate to move away from the spinning waves and further into the boat. I was also thankful that I had realised what it was before it was too late. 

The bubbling gave something away but it was only when the winds got harsher and the soft water started to turn and twist, creating a whirlpool of a mess in the middle of the ocean. It was getting bigger, and I knew we couldn't fight it off. We didn't have a chance. All we could do now is run and hope for the best.

Turning, I ran towards Maui and Moana who were trying to wrap everything up as fast as they could. Maui and Moana's hair was in tangled messes when they flew through the wind, my eyes entranced at how the curls danced in the winds. Reminded me of Annabeth's curls.

Good Gods, do I have a kink for curls?

I shook my head, not wanting to think about it further. I tried my best to help them but I knew there was no hope. Charybdis (who is a her.) would have grown to it's full length above the sea caught up with us with the speed we are going. 

"We need to lessen the weight of the boat!" Maui shouted.

I nodded, knowing he couldn't see from the bow of the ship. But instead of helping, I knew I had to do something to get her to rise more slowly. Or at least stall the whirlpool before it gets too close to us and sucks us up. 

The boat was rocking back and forth, making it harder for me to move to the side of the boat where we had a clear view of the patterned swirls that were recreating itself in the water. It took most of my power to help the boat stay as still as possible, the familiar gut-wrenching power shook through me. 

There was a loud roar, shaking the waves but not disturbing the ever growing thing below us.

I watched as the teeth slowly started to show beneath the enlarging whirlpool. I needed to distract it, to somehow make it restart it's course on the way up. To gain enough time for us to speed through the waves without causing too much trouble. But how?

"Cluck! Cluck! Cluck!" 

My ears perked. Of course. Let's just hope that Moana doesn't mind using Chi Chi for a while, does she? 

Spinning on my heel, I spotted the chicken a step away from falling into the ocean. One of it's yellow feet already stepping onto the air- it was almost comical. Thinking fast, I pulled up a water wall so that Chi Chi fell back into the boat.

I gave a sigh of relief to see it still there, and ran for him, grabbing him in my arms and back to the spot where I once was. 

Only to see that it grew so much larger. 

"Percy! It's growing!" Moana shouted. "We can't sail because of the wind currents going against us!"

I bit the inside of my lip. I needed to choose the right time on where and when to throw this chicken. One wrong move and we are done for.

A blue head popped up from the whirlpool, it's eyes surrounding the circumference of the whole face. I tried not to cringe at it's ugliness. Because damn, she is hideous. The sluggish movements as her faced turned left and right until it spotted us made it's skin slap each other making a weird wet noise. 

But once it finally turned towards us, the once wormish thing looks like it just inhaled an octopus.

Tentacles sprouted from each side, and I was thankful that we were far enough so that it couldn't reach us- just see us. The mouth was wide open as it made a noise- a blanching noise- many layers of teeth showing.