Chapter 18

Third POV

Sai was curled up into a ball, asleep. His soft snores filled the quiet atmosphere and a soft breeze played with the air around him.

"Do you have service?" Sasuke whispered to the pinkette crouched down next to her as they watched the man sleeping from behind a bush a couple feet away from him.

"What kind of question is that?" Sakura hissed to her friend.

"Shouldn't we tell Ino that we found the dude she's in love with?" Sasuke stated as Sakura had a look of realization in her face.

"Oh I guess that makes sense." The pinkette pulled out her phone and was met with no bars. After shaking her head at Sasuke, signaling there was no signal available, she suggested that they wake him up.

"Sakura...he ran away from Konoha...so do you think he'll be happy to see us?" Sasuke whispered. Sakura puffed out a breath filled with frustration.

"I did not travel outside of Konoha just so someone could tell me to go back, alright?" Sakura raised her voice, folding her arms over her chest. At that moment, they heard a sound coming from Sai's direction. The two turned their heads to see the runaway looking their direction, faking a smile and waving.

~X~

"No matter what I do or where I go...everything reminds me of him." Sai told the ravenette. Sakura was on the other side of the river. She was told to get the car.

Sasuke, actually genuinely smiling, then looked up at the sky and sighed.

"It's a good thing to not forget the people you love, Sai. But you're a human," Sasuke put on a serious face and looked at him straight in the eye "running away from everything and everyone is not the answer."

"Shin," the white-haired boy put out his hand "the name's Shin."

It was the younger's first day at the orphanage. He was only six years old, abandoned. The ten year old in front of him seemed eager to learn more about the newbie.

"M-my name is Sai. I..I..." the the pale faced ravenette suddenly started crying. A bit overwhelmed, Shin stepped forward and awkwardly hugged the child.

'What am I doing?' Shin asked himself.

"Kid, what's wrong?" After a couple minutes of sobbing into the white-haired boy's shirt, Sai finally pulled away and sat on the ground of their shared bedroom.

"I don't know why my mother brought me here. She told me goodbye and ran away from me." Sai wiped away his remaining tears as Shin sadly smiled at him.

"I..I don't know why your mother did that either, Sai. But if you want um..I could be like your brother." Shin smiled brightly at the six year old to cheering him up.

"R-really?" Sai suddenly sat up straight "Do you really mean it?" the white haired boy nodded.

"Sai, losing your family is the worst feeling anyone can ever have in the course of a lifetime," Sasuke paused "but you haven't lost everyone yet."

After a moment of silence, a large growling noise was heard yard away. The two men jerked their heads towards the source of the sound and their eyes widened.

"WATCH OUT!" a familiar pinkette screamed as she attempted to stop Sasuke's car.

"Yah!" Sasuke jumped up and pushed Sai to the side. He ran to the car and opened the door to the passenger seat and grabbed the wheel, scaring Sakura.