Chapter 13

[Alex's POV]
I sat next to John on the bed and smiled. He looked so beautiful sleeping there. Not in a creepy way, I just love my boyfriend a lot.
I grabbed the bag full of his clothes that I had brought back to my place and put them at the end of the bed. I felt bad for bringing him to my apartment. It was a lot smaller, but I needed to take care of John and I couldn't do that if I didn't know where anything was.
I padded to the kitchen and opened the fridge. There wasn't much, only about a half gallon of milk, a few apples, some leftovers, and butter.
The cabinets weren't much better. I had three bags of microwaveable popcorn, an almost empty box of Cheerios, two cans of green beans and a boxed cake mix.
I pulled out a pen and a piece of paper. I quickly wrote down a few things I needed then ripped of the part without any writing on it.
John, I went out to go get some food and to look for a job. I'll be back soon. I love you,
Alex
I sighed and read over my writing. It wasn't great, but it'll do. I placed the note on the bedside table next to John and kissed his forehead softly. He stirred in his sleep and smiled.
I quickly grabbed my list and walked out the front door. Once I was outside of the apartment building, my mood instantly darkened. It wasn't raining, but it looked as if the sky was ready to downpour at any minute. I raced to my old car and turned on the heater.
I quickly pulled out of the parking lot and drove to the closest store. I wanted to turn on the radio, but decided against it when I remembered that I hated literally everything on the top 40.  (Same)
I sighed when it began to rain. It started slowly, nothing more than a drizzle, but within a minute rain poured down onto the car, making me unable to see the road. I turned on the windshield wipers and slowly made my way into the Stop and Shop parking lot.
I parked into the space closest to the building, ignoring that it was a handicapped space. I had a temporary handicapped boyfriend that I needed to get home to, so I have a reason.
I waited for a lull in the rain and quickly ran inside, shoving the list into my jean pocket.
A few people stared at me as I slipped inside. I smiled at them.
I made my way over to the bread isle and grabbed the cheapest loaf I could. I didn't bother grabbing a basket because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford to fill one up. I made my way over to the deli and grabbed a prepackaged bag of ham and another one of American Cheese. The cheapest kind.
I turned my head and frowned and I saw a little kid crying in the produce isle. He was standing alone and he clutched a dinosaur stuffed animal to his chest. No one even cared to look over at him. I dropped my groceries and raced over to the kid. I didn't need him getting abducted or anything.
"Hey," I said, crouching down in front of him, "what's wrong?"
"I l-lost m-my m-mommy," he cried, burying his face into his stuffed dinosaur.
"Hey, shh, it's okay, we're going to find her," I cooed, pulling the boy into a hug.
He continued wailing into my shoulder. I rubbed his back and picked him up. God, he must have been only three or four.
"What's your name?" I asked, walking over to the help desk.
"M-my n-name is J-James," he sniffed.
"I'm Alexander, but that's not important," I said.
I smiled at the lady standing behind the desk.
"Hi, I found James here in the produce isle," I said, tapping James so he turned around, "he seems to have lost his mother, could you use your microphone thing to call her?"
"Oh, of course!" the woman said, picking up a silver microphone, "what's your mommy's name?"
"Eliza Schuyler," he said, having calmed down a little.
"Could Eliza Schuyler come to the help desk?" she said calmly after switching on a button in the microphone.
I waited there with James for his mother to come to the front. A woman wearing a light blue blouse and gray pants came running up the the desk, holding a beige shopping basket at her side. She was the same woman who interviewed John at the hospital. She sighed and smiled when she saw me and James.
"Oh my goodness, thank you so much," she said, taking James from me and hugging him tight.
"Mommy!" James yelled and hugged her neck.
"We meet again," she said, looking at me.
I laughed and ran a hand through my hair.
"Thank you so much for helping my son," she sighed, "I need to get going but I'll actually call you soon, I have some more information about John's case."
"O-okay, and you're welcome, I hate to see a child in distress," I said, smiling at James.
Eliza waved at me and picked up her basket.
"Bye, mister!" He yelled at me before turning around and snuggling up to his mothers shoulder.
I chuckled and made my way back to my dropped groceries. I picked up the three items and sighed. I want a kid.
I went to the self checkout to ring my groceries up. I put in my debit card, knowing that I wouldn't be able to pay my credit card bill without a job.
After bagging my groceries I walked back to the door of the store. Oh yeah, I forgot it was raining. I sighed and raced back to my car, trying not to get water in the bag.
I sighed and rang out my hair once I was in the car and buckled in. I needed to get back to John, but I still needed to look around for a job.

Okay, so I hate stopping the chapter here, but it would be way too long until I find another decent place to stop, so yeah.