Chapter 8: The Witch and the big city

I kept my pace, making my way back into the forest toward the direction of the explosion.

It was a most, frustrating predicament. Just as I had arrived into town, I couldn't help but feeling curious about the racket. Oh, curse my high curiosity! I suppose it really does kill the cat.

"Oh dear. Bless me, Grandmother." I prayed aloud to the sky.

I had arrived at the clearing of the forest and I took my time surveying the perimeter, studying every tree, every patch of grass, and every inch of the area. I wanted to take my time in analyzing the place to get a good understanding of what was going on. Everything seemed fine until I noticed something was not right. It took me a few moments, but as soon as I noticed it, it was very difficult to forget.

"This part of the forest seems...disturbed and trifled with." I thought to myself, taking the initiative to make my way further in, kneeling down to a spot with blades of grass that had been obviously stepped on. Several small foot prints indented in randomize places on the Earth, the blades of grass bent downwards toward the dirt. I placed my hand on one of the foot prints and closed my eyes, concentrating.

"They're small, delicate...not very deep. It was someone light weighted, a female perhaps; yes." I took my eyes off of the prints and focused on the trees that stood tall, towering over me. Broken limbs, pieces and parts splayed out, snapped and twisted in unfathomable ways.

"No doubt that there was a battle here

"No doubt that there was a battle here." I stood back up and strode along the side of the foot steps, following them as far as they would take me. They lead me to a faint outline of a body in some mud, which intrigued me. "Whoever this was, they fell here right on this spot. Were they trying to escape from something? Judging by the footsteps, from my quick diagnosis, this was definitely made my a girl, no doubt about it."

I cocked my head to the side as I froze for a second to think. "But they go even further through there." I continued on, stepping over detached branches that lay on the forest floor, following any signs I could sense of the battle that took place but as the trail ended, so did my luck. It stopped abruptly at a very steep incline. I leaned over to look. "That is at least a fifteen drop." I frowned, trying to think of the best way to go about this.

"Aha!"

"Aha!"

I snapped my fingers and summoned a wooden shield in front of my feet. I stood on it and with one foot on the middle of the shield, I used my other foot to push off the ground, riding the shield down the side of the steep decline, cheering and whooping all the way down until I felt the shield collide to the bottom of it and halted. "Ha ha! Now that was clever thinking!" I chuckled, dusting off my robes and made the shield disappear back into oblivion.