"One," I say, leaning against the door and pressing my ear to the wood. There is no sound from the other side of the door.

     "Two." She's been in there for a long time. 

     "Three." Rustling can be heard from the other side.

     "Four." Barefeet pad against the tile floor.

     "Fi-ahh." I fall before catching myself, as Lily swings the door out from my side. I turn quickly to face her. She stands in one of my old wool sweaters; it swims along her thin frame. Legging clad legs peek out from the baggy material, running down into fuzzy socks. Her long red hair is pulled back sloppily into a bun, pieces of it falling to frame her pale face. Her eyes stare at me, but it's almost as if she can't see me.

     "Lily," I say carefully. "Will you please tell me what the hell is happening? I am going out of my mind with worry."

     "Uh, James," she says, her voice shaky. "We have a surprise."

     Her green eyes meet mine, and so many emotions swim in those emerald depths, I can't decipher any of them. "I'm not following," I admit.

     She hands over a small, white stick. I look down at the double lines at the center of the stick. I squint my eyes at the lines as if they'll do something or if they signify something, but I just feel more confused the longer I stare. 

     "I have no clue what this is," I say with a small laugh. Lily smiles back at me, and I spot two more white sticks on the counter by the sink.

      Lily clears her throat. "There are some things I still don't use magic for because I guess there are things I just can't bring myself to us magic for. These are muggle pregnancy tests."

     My head reels with the information. Pregnancy tests? "Um," is all I can force out of my mouth. "And...the...double lines?"

     "I'm pregnant, James."

October 22, 1981

     "IT'S YOUR FAULT, YOU FILTHY TRAITOR! I HATE YOU! YOU BASTARD!" Sirius slams Remus against the wall, gripping fistfuls of his jumper in each of his hands. 

     "FUCK YOU!" Remus yells as he tackles Sirius to the floor, sitting up only to connect his fists with Sirius' face. 

     "Knock it off!" I yell racing forward to pull my two best mates off of each other. Once Remus has been pushed to the couch, Sirius starts towards him. "No!"

     I push sirius against a wall, hand pressed firmly to his chest. "Stop it," I command. "Both of you."

     "Marlene is dead," Sirius says dejectedly. "The Bones are dead. The Prewett brothers are dead. Everyone is dying, and there is a traitor among us. And he's sitting on your fucking couch, James!"

     Remus is on his feet again. "Why the fuck do you think it's me? What have I ever done to make you think it's me?"

     "You tell me," Sirius mutters darkly. "Werewolf."

     Remus' eyes blaze. "How do we know it's not you, Black?"

     Sirius strains against me, jaw clenched in concentration and anger. "No!" I shout. "We're not doing this! You sit down!" I push Sirius into the arm chair. 

     "You!" I turn pointing a finger at Remus. "Couch, now!"

     They sit opposites of each other, staring coldly into the other's eyes. "You want to fight?" I ask angrily. "You want to scream and yell and accuse each other of all the crimes committed. Do it. Get it out. But, you will not harm each other and slam each other into walls in my house. Do we understand?"