Swimming in Scarlet

"So, are you and Jenna, like, dating?" Marlene demands of me at breakfast.

     I stop chewing my toast and slowly look up. Marlene's brown eyes are unwavering, and her jaw is locked. Her eyes shine in away that is scary and angry at the same time. I avert my eyes from hers and shrug my shoulders not knowing what else to do. "Sort of, why?" I shift uncomfortably in my seat. We hadn't really discussed it. Does Jenna think we're together? Is she telling people we're together?

     "Just curious," Marlene shrugs casually, her eyes flitting to Lily for a split second. "The girl won't shut up about you." I force my eyes to stay forward, instead of looking at Lily.

      "What can I say? I'm a pleasurer of women," I smirk. I don't think anyone catches the bitterness in my voice, except maybe Sirius who gives me an odd look.

      Remus dumps a heavy amount of creamer into his coffee and stirs it, causing loud clinking noises to echo. He looks up a moment later and throws me an empathetic look. Peter is throwing hurried glances at Marlene and Lily. When did things get so complicated? Seriously, do all girls just live to be confusing?

     "You know, Evans," Sirius drawls. "Glaring at a book, won't make you learn it faster." I sneak a glance at her to see that she is staring intently at the pages of some book that can't be nearly as interesting as she is making it seem.

     "How would you know, Black? You never read," she replies without lifting her gaze from the pages. I bite back a grin on that one.

     "Are you trying to scare it with your death gaze?" Sirius laughs, pushing his long hair from his face.

     "Maybe," she shrugs. I take a sip of my coffee, hiding my smile. God, she's perfect. Warmth radiates through my body both from the hot beverage and from the voice of the feisty red head seated next to me.

     "James," coos a voice from behind me, causing my cheeks to flush. "Why don't you come sit with me?" I look over my shoulder to see Jenna standing with a wicked grin and lust in her eyes.

     "I'm good here, thanks," I reply politely.

     She huffs, rolling her eyes. In one swift motion, she throws her leg over the bench and squishes herself in between myself and Lily. I bite back my irritation at her pushing Lily away. I don't have time to react because she throws an arm around my waist and cuddles closely to my chest. My muscles lock in place. What the hell is she doing? We have never done this, especially not in public.

      Lily hurriedly gathers her things and stands to leave. She mutters something that I don't quite catch, but her lips are pursed and her nose is crinkled as if she smells something unpleasant.

      "Evans, you don't have to leave," I say quickly, not thinking before speaking. I bite my tongue as soon as the words leave my lips. Dammit, James. Why do you always act like an eager idiot around her?

     "She can leave," Jenna spits a look at Lily. Woah, hold on. Lily glares down at her, nostrils flaring and hands balling into fist. I wait for the yelling to start. Lily can get mean when she's angry. Nobody knows that better than me.

     "Lily!" says Marlene urgently, snapping everyone out of their trance. "Let's go to the library. You said you'd help me with my charms essay, remember? I still have five inches left."

     Lily turns sharply on her heal and stalks out of the great hall, tailed closely by Marlene. "What was that about?" Remus ponders, downing the remainder of his coffee.

      "Be nice to Lily," I say sharply, looking down at Jenna. 

      She bats her eyelashes innocently. "I didn't know I did anything?"