Snuffed

"Before I send you all off to bed," Dumbledore says. "I would like for our new Head Boy and Head Girl to stand- Mr. James Potter and Miss Lily Evans."

     I slowly rise from my seat next to Lily as she does the same. A faint blush creeps over her cheeks, but she smiles and ducks her head at the applause. Sirius makes a big show of clapping and screams, "My babies!" A few people whistle, causing Lily to sit back down hurriedly. I wave at people enjoying myself.

     Dumbledore clears his throat, suggesting my time is up. A few students laugh, as I shrug and sit back down. "If you two could stay for just a minute afterwards. The rest of you, off to bed."

     The Great Hall erupts into chatter and laughter. Prefects lead all of the nervous first years to their newly sorted common rooms. I turn my head to watch the wonder in their eyes, and I feel a wave of nostalgia come over me, remembering walking through those halls for the very first time with a very jumpy Sirius. I frown remembering the letter Sirius got the following day.

     Gasps and exclamations of wonder fill the Great Hall. I lift my eyes from my overflowing plate of food, Dad was right about Hogwarts' food, to see what all of the commotion is about. Hundreds of owls have flocked inside of the hall carrying letters and packages to students. I smile to myself wondering if my parents had written me back yet.

     "Look, Lily, look!" I turn to see a girl with brown hair cropped at her chin tugging on the sleeve  of the red headed girl from the train. 

     The red headed girl, Lily, giggles, but for the most part she contains her excitement. "I see them, Mary." She rolls her eyes as if she is above looking excited for a bunch of owls carrying packages, but interest sparks in her green eyes as she sneaks peaks at the ceiling when she thinks nobody is looking. I finally arrive at the notation that they are probably muggle borns. I turn away smiling, not letting them see my amusement over their excitement.  I don't blame them for being excited; This has to be a lot to take in. 

     A large, grey owl lands in front of my plate,  narrowly missing my pumpkin juice. "Hi, Eeylop!" I greet brightly.

     I take the note from around his leg, scanning it hungrily. My parents' praise of my being selected for Gryffindor sends pride swelling in my chest. My mother had assured me several times she would be proud no matter where I ended up, but the nervous feeling over what house I would be placed in had evaporated last night.

     Riiiiiiipppppp! My head snaps up at the sudden sound that causes an unnatural chill to settle into the warm air. My eyes lock with the a pair of brown eyes, belonging to the tall, lanky boy from my room. The boy's, Remus, eyes widen in alarm, and we both turn to face our new friend, Sirius.

     Sirius' long hair covers his face from the view of others. His long, pale fingers slowly tear the pieces of letter, until they are so small he has formed a small pile of microscopic pieces of parchment.

     "Er, Sirius?" I'm the first to reach out to him. Remus and our other bunk mate, Peter, have both remained silent whilst watching him destroy the mysterious letter.

     Sirius sits up straight and turns to look at me, tears shining in his grey eyes. My eyes widen in return, feeling heat creep up my neck, uncomfortable at the sudden show of emotion. Sirius raises his chin and clenches his jaw in determination.

     "My mum said I'm a disgrace," he says betraying no sign of wavering in his voice. "She said I have stained the Black family name by being in Gryffindor."

     I open my mouth, not completely sure what I will say. "I-"

     "So what," Remus interjects. I turn to look at him. His eyes blaze with a fierce understanding, and his jaw is set. "Who cares what she thinks? She thinks you're a disgrace because you're in Gryffindor? Be the best damn Gryffindor there ever was." My jaw drops at the seemingly quiet boy's words.