Soulmates

"What does it mean?" Sirius asks for the thousandth time, rubbing his palms along the length of his face, fingers digging into his alabaster skin like claws.

     "Moony, indulge us please," I say hurriedly flipping through my Defense Against the Dark Arts book. It has to be in here somewhere-the answer to my growing curiosity. This time could have been saved if Lily had just told me what it meant. What the hell does it mean?

     I saw the look on her face though. Her eyes wouldn't meet mine, and her cheeks had a tinge of red to them that suggested that she was too embarrassed to tell me. She averted my eyes and got defensive. 

     "You're going to want to read this one for yourself, Prongs," Remus grins with a knowing gleam in his eyes as he leans against Sirius' bedpost. He's already changed from his school uniform into a giant wool sweater; he picks at the loose threads along the bottom, waiting for me to find out this information that seems to be amusing him so much.

     "Thanks for the help, Moons." I continue to flip frantically through the pages, doing my best to speed read the pages, stopping to fully read a paragraph when patronuses are mentioned. 

     "Fuck," I mutter. My dry fingers stick to the gritty surface of the pages for what seems like the thousandth time, slowing down my process. I hurriedly lick my fingers and continue to flip through the pages.

     "What are the odds?" Sirius ponders absentmindedly.

     "What are the odds Moony's patronus would be a wolf?" Pete pipes in from his bed. I can practically hear the laugh in his voice.

     "Shut it, Wormtail!" Remus snaps sharply. I glance away from the pages to see Remus' cheeks have flushed, and his eyebrows have come together.

     "A bit touchy there, are we, Moons?" Sirius asks getting to his feet. He crosses his arms across his chest and gives Remus a knowing look, amusement dancing in his grey eyes.

     "You're a fucking mutt, Padfoot," Remus growls through his teeth. Using his height to his advantage, as he glares down at Sirius, whom seems to be standing on his tip toes.

     "Moony, cussed," Pete says in a sing-song voice, pointing a finger at Remus like a child telling on their older brother.

     "You're a rat! Seriously, how the hell is that supposed to protect you? At least mine is somewhat scary!" Remus shrieks, throwing this hands wildly into the air.

     "We need to wash your mouth out with soap, Moony," I comment, shifting my eyes back to the pages of the book.

     "Oh, and a deer just has me trembling with fear!" Remus continues.

     "Patronuses don't have to be scary to fight off a dementer," I comment lightly, hiding a smirk. "You know it, and I know it." I love when Moony gets like this. He's usually the calm, non-potty mouth one. It's always entertaining when he loses his shite.

     "Oh, shut up! At least I don't graze once a month!" He retorts, completely changing topics. I throw my book aside, forgetting it for the moment. 

     "That's not even relative to this conversation!" I reply, getting to my feet. Sirius is clinging to Moony as he hunches over with laughter. Remus stands with a triumphant smirk on his face. 

     "You do do that," Sirius laughs, tears streaming from his eyes.

     "At least I don't eat mice!" I shout back, pointing my finger at the both of them. That wipes the smile from both of their faces.