Waking Up

"Good Morning, Prongsie!" A heavy weight lands on my back causing pain to shoot up my spine and worsen my already throbbing head. A groan escapes my lips, and I ever so slightly lift my eyelids to be blinded by bright, morning light. Bloody hell. I try to go through what happened last night, but my memory ends in the corridors. 

     My thoughts are interrupted as Sirius proceeds to gleefully jump up and down on my bed. "Sirius," I groan, my body thudding against the bouncing mattress. "Stop."

     "Hell, no," he laughs, jumping off of my bed. "Remember the last time I was hungover?" I do remember. I blasted red sparks out of my wand with a very loud sound, causing him to fall out of bed, worsening his headache. Great, he's out for revenge. Just what I need.

     "I'm sorry," I whine, pressing a pillow over my ears.

     "Yeah," Sirius replies sarcastically. "Too late."

     Sirius proceeds to walk up behind me at random times during the day and yell, causing the pounding in my head to become more painful. Remus finally gets annoyed with it and puts a silencing charm on Sirius, much to mine and Peter's enjoyment.

     I pull Jenna aside the first chance I get, knowing what needs to be done. "Jenna," I say, running my hands through my hair. "We need to have a talk."

     "Okay," she replies sharply, obviously still annoyed at the events that had unfolded at Hogsmeade. We make our way to a secluded corner. Her blue eyes bore into mine, unwavering, as she crosses her arms, leaning against the wall.

     "I think we should break up," I say, the words flying from my lips. "We're just no good together, you know?"

      "You're breaking up with me?" Jenna demands, eyes blazing.

      I fucking hate break ups. "Sorry, Jenna. I just think it's for the best."

      "It's because of Lily isn't it?" 

      "No!" I say hurriedly. I wish. "I just think it's for the best. Besides, Lily doesn't even think of me that way." The bitterness seeps through my voice filling in the cracks of whatever unemotional charade I am putting on.

      She rolls her icy eyes over-dramatically. "Oh, please! You know what? I don't care. Whatever, James. We're done."

     She turns on her heal and strides away. I have the urge to yell after her to ask if she realizes this started with me breaking up with her, but it somehow flipped? I think better of it and walk away, going on with the rest of my day, feeling as if a weight has been lifted from my chest. The marauders answer me with whoops and hollers when I tell them of the separation, well except for Sirius. He silently cheers, seeing how Remus still hasn't taken off the charm. 

      I try to avoid Lily for most of the day, but anytime I have to talk to her, I keep it light and friendly- no flirting. I have finally decided I was being unfair to her. I was being selfish always trying to win her over when she had made it perfectly clear that she didn't want me that way. The least I could do is respect that. We can be friends, best friends even.

    "Did Moony ever take the silencing spell off of Padfoot?" Peter asks over dinner.

     I look up from my copy of the Daily Prophet. "I think so," I answer. But, Merlin, that would be funny if he didn't.

    "So, you're okay, right? About the Jenna thing?" Pete hesitantly asks, staring into his glass of pumpkin juice, swirling it in a circular motion.

     "Yeah," I answer with a genuine smile. "But thanks for checking on me, Pete."

     "Hey, Prongs," a voice calls, echoing off the tall walls, causing a few teachers to look up with disapproving gazes. I turn to see Remus hurriedly walking towards me, a befuddled expression across his features.