Happy

"Come on, Red," Sirius laughs lying on his back. "Open my present."

     "You got me something?" Lily asks, lifting her head from my shoulder. Her eyes are still rimmed red from all of her crying, but a small sparkle has appeared in the green orbs at Sirius' comment. My teeth clamp together for what feels like the thousandth time today because her sister is pissing me off more and more these days.

      A bright, silver doe jumps straight through the front window arriving in our family room. My mum lets out an audible gasp, clutching a hand to her chest at the unexpected arrival. "Fuck!" Sirius cries, clearly just as surprised as mum.

     "Sirius!" Mum yells sharply. "Language."

      "Sorry, Mum," Sirius mutters sheepishly, pressing his lips together firmly, shielding a grin.

      "Lily," I murmur knowing there is only one person who could produce that patronus. I turn quickly on the spot appearing just outside our front gate. 

     I can't keep the smile from my face as I take in the view of my favorite redhead. She wasn't supposed to come until later, but I guess they finished Christmas early at her house. 

    "Lily!" I exclaim, outstretching my arms towards her. "What are you doing here?"

     I stops in my tracks, lowering my arms, when I take in her face- swollen eyes, tear streaks, and a red nose. She wipes at her face under my gaze. "What happened?" I asks, taking her in my arms, tucking her under my chin.

     She shakes her head. "It's a long story. I know it's Christmas, but I didn't know where else to go. I can get a room at the Leaky Cauldron if that's better. I'm sorry," her voice cracks. My heart breaks at the sound.

     I shift her until I have my arm around her shoulders."Nonsense!" I peck her on the cheek, forcing my voice into a false happiness. "Come on! Sirius is already over, and Pete and Remus will be over later!"

     When Lily showed up this morning, I thought maybe she wanted to come over earlier or something along those lines. I never dreamed Petunia screamed that she hated her; I mean, isn't calling your little sister a freak on a regular basis enough? And on Christmas of all days. 

     "Of course I did," Sirius scoffs, bringing me back to the present. His grey eyes shine as he looks at Lily. 

     Lily smiles. "Good," she says triumphantly. "Because I got you one too."

     Sirius hands Lily a large box wrapped in shiny, gold paper. She smiles down at him, snatching it from his hands. She quickly rips through the paper to reveal a box overflowing with books. Her face lights up, as she pours over all of the titles, running her fingers delicately over the covers. Taking the books out one at a time studying the titles and running her thumb over the spines.

     "Only you could get so excited over a box of books," Sirius rolls his eyes, but I see his smile, obviously very pleased with himself and his gift.

     "I don't know," I add. "Moony could give her a run for her money." Sirius laughs; Lily frowns.

     "What's wrong, Lils?" I ask, nudging her with my elbow.

     She looks down at the books, then back up to Sirius' curious face. "These are very pricey, Sirius." Her nose wrinkles in discomfort and embarrassment.

     He rolls his eyes. "Merlin, Lilikins, it's not a big deal."

     "I didn't spend this much on yours..." She trails off, lifting her green eyes to the window.