Important Things

Things would never be the same again. Going through the shite we did, it's like something shifted within all of us. The war became real after that. It wasn't just something on the outside of these walls that we could pretend was happening to other people; it was real, and it was ugly. War does not stop and wait for you to be adults. War comes barging in and robs childhoods. 

     The six of us are closer than ever, but it was different. It was a kind of close that can only be reached after going through something so traumatic, you have no one else to turn to. They're the best friends I've ever had. But the light, the innocence in everyone's eyes had evaporated. We were no longer sheltered children but survivors. 

     Even through all of the pain and aftermath, we could still remember the important things in life. The morning of Lily's birthday, January 30th, I awake earlier than normal and make my way down to the common room. Though I had found a way to get past the enchanted stairs of the girl's dormitory, I hadn't dared go up there after the incident in fourth year. The incident involved a freezing spell, a very enraged Lily Evans, and an enchanted book that followed me the rest of the day randomly dropping on my head. 

     I scribble on a random piece of parchment:

     Marls, 

      Do me a favor? Get Lily down here. It's for her birthday. 

      I owe you one.

      James 

     I send the note flying up the staircase with a nice little charm we learned in fifth year. I lean against the back of the couch and wait. Not long after my note is gone there is a loud thump. I remember that Lily Evans is not a morning person. Like not even close. Like don't talk to her until she has had at least one cup of coffee if not two. Her and Remus drink the stuff religiously; I'm surprised their hearts haven't stopped.

     "MARLENE MCKINNON, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING!" Oh dear god, Marlene what did you do? I lower my head into my hands. What the bloody hell have I done?

     I raise my face at the sound of footsteps. Marlene arrives- still in her pajamas- with a wild smirk upon her face and wand pointed. In front of her is bundle of sheets encased in purple light and from the noises coming from inside, it's an easy guess as to who is in there. 

     Marlene hovers Lily above me; I stick out my arms and nod at a very self-satisfied Marlene, whom lets Lily drop into my grasp. I hold Lily bridal style against me as she thrashes herself about, until her head finally emerges from the blankets. Her red hair is wild with sleep, sticking up in odd places making her resemble a lioness. I bite down on my lips to resist a smile, and Lily glares at me, green eyes ablaze.

     I look back up at Marlene, who is enjoying this way to much. "Merlin, Marlene, I told you to get her down here, not kidnap her."

     "Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do," she replies, crossing her arms with a triumphant smirk.

     "Please, put me down," Lily says through clenched teeth, raising her chin stubbornly.

     I smile at her early morning moodiness and pull her closer to me. "But I like having you this close to me," I whisper.

     "Ew, on that note, I'm gone," Marlene wrinkles her nose before turning on her heal and leaving.

      I laugh as Marlene exits, enjoying the discomfort I can thrust upon my friends. Lily looks up at me with an annoyed expression. I lower my lips to hers, and she quickly throws her arms around my neck. I make my way to the couch and lower her gently on her back.