Confessions

"I talked about us getting married, and she didn't hit me or yell," I say collapsing onto my bed, a familiar feeling swirling in my stomach. I can feel the smile tugging on the edges of my lips, and I know to my friends I look like a lovesick idiot. I can't find the capacity in my body to care because all of my thoughts are occupied by Lily.

     "Wow," says Sirius mockingly. "What an accomplishment." Sirius appraises me as he sits on the edge of his bed. His long hair falls into his eyes, and he pushes it away in a manor that still remains elegant. 

     "It is!" I exclaim throwing my hands into the air, before lowering them back to my hair, tugging through the messy strands.

     "You two looked pretty cozy when I found you," he replies with a smirk.

     "To be fair," I say pondering it for a second. "I talked about her and Moony getting married too."

      Remus joins Sirius on the edge of his bed and gives me a confused look. "Um, why?"

     "Cause I didn't want her to think I was an arrogant arse again!" I say. "So, I had to throw somebody else in there."

     Remus and Sirius give each other a look. "Don't do that," I command.

    "Do what?" Remus asks innocently, shifting his eyes back to me. He knits his eyebrows together in a look of confusion. 

     I roll my eyes and sit up. "Look at each other like I'm crazy."

    "You are crazy, Prongs," Sirius says simply, crossing his arms.

    "She called me James today," I say smiling, remembering the joy flooding through my body when my name rolled off her tongue. I don't think she meant to let it slip because her cheeks turned pink, but it is a start.

    "And you're whipped," Peter adds, taking a seat in front of me on the floor.

     I shrug not really caring. Something feels different between Lily and me this year. Maybe I'm being too hopeful or letting my imagination get the better of me, but maybe, just maybe, I'm right.

     "I wonder if she's a virgin?" Sirius wonders allowed.

     I lift my shoulders in a nonchalant fashion. "Dunno," I say nonchalantly, ignoring the burning sensation in my stomach. I had wondered this too, several times in fact. I try to keep the idea out of my head because the thought of someone else with her, touching her, kissing her, making love to her is enough to make me go mad.

     "I'll go ask," Sirius says simply, hopping of the edge of his bed, leaving Remus looking dumbfounded.

     "You will not," I say, jumping off of my own bed and hurrying after my best mate.

     "Of course, I will," Sirius shrugs, heading down the stairs. I throw a worried look at Peter and Remus, who quickly stand to follow.

     "Padfoot, no," I protest, close behind him debating dragging him back to our room by his hair.

     "Prongs, yes," he replies in a mocking tone. I fight the urge to choke him. He's always been this way, stubborn as hell, and once he makes up his mind, there's no changing it.

     The common room is pretty empty considering it's late. That and the teachers haven't started handing out homework yet, so everyone is enjoying their free time before it ends in a mountain of schoolwork. Marlene is one of the few people occupying the room. She sits curled on the couch in front of the fire completely engrossed in a book.

     Sirius snatches it from her hands and lowers himself onto one of the available
armchairs. "Black!" She protests, cheeks immediately flushing with annoyance.